24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Baffled

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 06:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baffled

First time diesel owner, picked up an 01 2500 with 24V Cummins. I've been driving it since January.
A few weeks ago while driving up a gradual incline, the motor died; stuttered slightly, and died.
I replaced the lift pump, and the injection pump; still wouldn't start. So I surrendered and towed it to a shop. They replaced the starter (which did show signs of failing), got it started, but they couldn't get it to keep prime. They dropped the fuel tank, cleaned the pickup sock and observed no defects. they then suspected the new lift pump was not doing the job and they wanted to replace it.
I decided that I could throw parts at it cheaper than them so I had them get it running and I drove it home.
I installed a new Air Dog 100 lift pump, all new banjo bolt washers, new fuel line clamps, and bled it out and got it running. Now running, I shut it off and then went to restart, it ran for a moment and then died. It will not start again without bleeding the fuel at the return banjo and injectors.
The first time I got it running I drove around town and on a highway, it ran well without any issue. The second time was just in the garage.
Anyone have an idea what to look at next?

Old 07-31-2017, 04:45 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 65 Likes on 62 Posts

Did you address the bolt on the back of the head?