24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

98.5 cummins hard start

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 09:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98.5 cummins hard start

I have a 98.5 Cummins 24 valve. It has an intake pump. Pump reading 12 PSI at 2000 rpm it's dropped is to 9 PSI under load up hill. it fires up in the morning no problem but after I drive it for a while and then let it sit for an hour or so it has a hard start. Everything I've read on the internet people with this problem have it in the morning mine fires up in the morning no problem every time help!

Last edited by akina67; 03-01-2017 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Left something out
Old 03-03-2017, 12:25 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Scroll down a little more than half way down the page in this article https://www.bluechipdiesel.com/vp44_diagnostics.html you will find a section that covers hard starts when warm. With the vp44, fuel acts as both a lubricant and a coolant for the pump. There is an overflow valve in the vp44 that starts opening at 13lbs of fuel pressure so anything under 13psi there's not enough fuel running through the pump to keep it cool. So with your fuel pressure would definitely recommend a fass or airdog if you have the money or if you're like me and have a tighter budget look into a raptor pump.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:47 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 65 Likes on 62 Posts

You have to much pressure when warm cranking. Google lift pump delay relay. This will cause the lift pump not to add pressure till the truck is running.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Bryce
Scroll down a little more than half way down the page in this article https://www.bluechipdiesel.com/vp44_diagnostics.html you will find a section that covers hard starts when warm. With the vp44, fuel acts as both a lubricant and a coolant for the pump. There is an overflow valve in the vp44 that starts opening at 13lbs of fuel pressure so anything under 13psi there's not enough fuel running through the pump to keep it cool. So with your fuel pressure would definitely recommend a fass or airdog if you have the money or if you're like me and have a tighter budget look into a raptor pump.
Thanks for the link I will run the test they suggest. And look into the relay. And get back with results

Old 03-08-2017, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by akina67
Thanks for the link I will run the test they suggest. And look into the relay. And get back with results
I ran the water over the injection pump four different times and each time it started afterwards so I am ordering a new injection pump I'll let you know how it goes thanks for the help appreciate it