Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   Time to start fixing the truck up. Suggestions? (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/127037-time-start-fixing-truck-up-suggestions.html)

doublehbar 06-04-2015 04:24 PM

Time to start fixing the truck up. Suggestions?

Hoping you all can help me figure out where to go next with the truck listed in my signature.

A little background: My ex all but ran this truck into the ground, literally nothing beyond basic maintenance(as evidenced by my recent tans fluid and filter change at 160-170k miles ran on this trans). We bought the truck when it had 31k miles on it, but I didn't know I could actually work on it so I never learned, until I took it over roughly 20k miles or so ago. Which thanks to life circumstances has taken me almost 3 years to put on. In that time I have done the typical maintenance on her. Oil changes, air filter, fuel filter, batteries, and brakes. I have also replaced: Radiator, gear box, track bar, tie-rods, steering stabilizer, front shocks, hydroboost pump, lift pump, apps sensor, and I am sure there is more.

That being said. This truck is all stock and literally needs tlc everwhere. So where do I go next? In my opinion, the truck does not run as strong as its glory days. It feels....well, it feels tired! Do I cut all the CA emissions crap off the exhaust now that I don't live there anymore? My fiance is a welder by trade so I am sure we could get an exhaust whipped out pretty easily. Do I get an airbox? The lift pump went out on this truck about 3k miles ago and I still have no fuel pressure gauge. Do I get that next? The battery cables need replacing as I don't think there is enough cable to just replace the ends and I know that short issues can be a pain on these trucks.

I know this is a ton of info and I am probably missing some stuff, but I am asking what I should have asked 3 years ago when I took this truck over. I have every intention of being buried in this truck, so I don't mind taking my time here. What is the most important thing to do next to this truck on a limited budget?

Jet A Fuel 06-05-2015 03:14 PM

Save up for a transmission, get a fuel gauge, boost gauge and EGT gauge. so you can keep an eye on the fuel pressure and EGT is most important of all.

doublehbar 06-05-2015 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jet A Fuel (Post 1093336)
Save up for a transmission, get a fuel gauge, boost gauge and EGT gauge. so you can keep an eye on the fuel pressure and EGT is most important of all.

Are you telling me my trans is a ticking time bomb?lol I was thinking of stuffing cash when possible for any major repair that may head my way. Be it trans or injector pump. Is there a particular gauge that you recommend? I know not to just buy the fuel pressure gauge now at least. As far as the injector pump. Is it true what they say that once the lift pump goes it is only a matter of time until it goes too? When my pump went it literally fired up fine, drove it to the store a mile down the road and it wouldn't start when I jumped back in it.

Jet A Fuel 06-06-2015 12:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes it is a bomb but not like the good bomb lol.
For gauge's there is really two ways you can go.
One is the traditional analog gauge's like from Autometer or two the programmers now have digital gauge readout screens. Programers are expensive but if your doing an all out bombing of the truck its the way to go.
here is a picture of my pillar pod and gauge set up Old school.

Attachment 31446

I just bought a replacement Auto Meter Fuel gauge P/n 4360 and it was $208.

doublehbar 06-06-2015 12:30 AM

To be honest, I am not a huge fan of digital. Only because I think electronics are the Achilles of modern trucks. I kinda dig the old school. I may send you some links of the stuff I was shopping for online the other day, if you don't mind.

Jet A Fuel 06-06-2015 02:58 AM

:tu: no problem :pca1:

doublehbar 06-07-2015 12:03 AM

Hoping this link will work. This is the gauge combo I looked at the other day. Is this a good one?

98 02 Dodge RAM Cummins Pod Smoked 7 Color Diesel Gauges w Fuel Pressure | eBay

Jet A Fuel 06-07-2015 12:26 AM

Looks pretty good it has a one year warranty I have seen a few trucks on the forum with this setup. I would use them because of the price.:jump:

doublehbar 06-07-2015 11:59 PM

The price is what caught my attention. Gauges aren't cheap!

On a different note. I have a neighbor highly recommending BD products for my truck. Says he used to use them when he was a Jeep mechanic and still uses them now. He sent me the link for an auto trans conditioner product and a fuel additive. Have you, or anyone else heard of these products? I already use Lucas Oil at oil changes and the Lucas Oil fuel additive when I put fuel in the truck. I had never thought to look into a trans additive.

gh0stman 06-09-2015 04:38 AM

I would stay away from glowshift. Yes they look good but I have heard people having issues with them. But I am not saying go get some that you must refinance your house for either. I would recommend ISSPRO or Autometer. But at the end of the day you must choose your path and stay within your budget. Good luck.