Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   Dead Pedal using Cruise Control, Intermittent Engine Stumble without CC (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/124357-dead-pedal-using-cruise-control-intermittent-engine-stumble-without-cc.html)

burndiesel 11-15-2014 01:11 PM

Dead Pedal using Cruise Control, Intermittent Engine Stumble without CC

2002 Dodge Cummins 3500 4X4 6 speed manual
I have an old, never resolved, cruise control problem, and a recent intermittent engine stumble/miss problem that both point to a Throttle Position Sensor TPS (APPS) failure. BUT, the TPS was replace twice within a couple days in 2012, and never did fix the Cruise Control problem, SO I think there is something else going wrong, but why the Cruise Control problem would be consistent and the engine stumble/miss is intermittent has me baffled….HELP!
I have ordered a new TPS from TMB Mechanical Service & Repair to have on hand to hand when this is dug into. Of note, truck is always in use with a trailer, often heavy. VP 44 injection pump replaced NOV 2011. The speed sensor camshaft (5080577AB) replaced JAN 2012.
Below is an explanation. Sorry for the length, but don’t know how else to explain:

CURRENT CRUISE CONTROL PROBLEM
-place CC on, 5/10 minutes later, engine check light on (ECL), CC turned off, truck drives normally.

-after driving with CC off and ECL on for an additional 5/10 minutes, the power will suddenly go to idle and the throttle in dead or non-responsive.

-pull over, turn truck off, wait a couple minutes (although I do not think waiting is even necessary), truck is restarted and throttle operates normally. ECL eventually extinguishes.

-codes that pull up when cycle ignition switch 3 times (code descriptions pulled from internet site):
P PCU
P 0500 VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR MALFUNCTION
P 1693 TURBO CHARGE CONTROL CIRCUIT MALFUCTION
P DONE
P ECU
P 1693
P 0122 THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR/SWITCH A CIRCUIT LOW INPUT
P 0121 THROTTLE POSITION SESOR/SWITCH A CIRCUIT RANGE/PERFORMANCE PROBLEM
P 0216 INJECTION TIMING CONTROL CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION
P 0234 ENGINE OVERBOOST CONDITION

-above scenario will happen like clockwork every time attempting to use CC.

HISTORY OF CRUISE CONTROL ISSUE
-SPT 2012 the dead throttle position above after using the CC did not correct with turning the truck off then on.
-dealership in Nebraska replaced the TPS (53031576AD LEVER-ACCELERATOR AND CRUISE $719!!)

-continuing the road trip, the same CC problem reoccurred within hours, BUT the dead throttle (non-responsive accelerator) was corrected by shutting the truck off then back on, and the truck operated normally without using the CC

-1 day later stopped at a dealership on Michigan and the TPS was again replaced as it was claimed that the one installed by the Dealership in Nebraska was faulty. The throttle cable was also replaced.

-attempted to use the CC again and the same problem occurred, but again, luckily, the non-responsive accelerator was corrected by turning the truck off then on.

-not using the CC has been my solution for the last 2 years. After the engine stumble/miss problem starting occurring (explained next), I tried using the CC in diagnosing the problem and the problem explained above is the current status.

ENGINE STUMBLE OR MISS AT OPERATING SPEEDS
-after truck in driving for over an hour, the engine starts to stumble or miss. It is an intermittent problem. Sometimes it will not do it for a couple days than starts doing it again. And sometimes the problem is more pronounced. Once it starts with the problem it seems to act that way fairly consistently for as long as the truck is running. If the truck is stopped for a short period (to get fuel for example) the problem will reoccur immediately. Not until the truck is turned off for a long time (overnight) will the problem reset, and it may or may not return after an hour or 2 of driving.

-twice on recent road trip the problem seemed to become more pronounced and the engine check light came on and the engine went to idle the same as with the CC problem. And as with the current CC problem the non-responsive throttle was corrected with shutting the truck off then on. BUT for the final 2 days of the trip the engine stumble problem did not reoccur.

-the problem can be heard and felt. Also, indicated on my boost gauge as the needle jumps around with a steady throttle foot position. The engine acts as if the accelerator is being sporadically pumped and/or your foot is allowed to abruptly slip off the accelerator.

-codes after engine stumble/miss that turned on ECL and non-responsive throttle:
P PCU
P 1693
P DONE
P ECU
P 0122
P 0216
P 0234
P DONE

-After the engine stumble/miss caused the ECL and non-responsive throttle, I did not clear the codes. Not until almost home did I turn on the CC to verify that that problem still existed from 2 years ago! So do not know which of the first codes also apply the CC problem. The codes that where new after testing the CC, are presumable only associated with it.
-With researching on line, and all the issues that come up associated with the TPS, there were a few cases where replacing the TPS did not resolve the problem, as was the case in my situation 2 years ago when the CC first occurred. The 0122 code (low voltage) and intermittent nature of the problem, was discussed as the possibility of a faulty wiring or connectivity issue. BUT the CC problem is not intermittent????

-Also, the common component in the CC/ Engine Stumble problem is the TPS, BUT it was replaces 2 years ago and didn’t fix the CC problem. To Clarify the Engine Stumble started approx. 6 months ago.

-there is a TPS (APPS) reset procedure that did fix some of the posted problems….?

2001 3500 4X4 6 Speed Manual
Fass Titanium Lift Pump with low fuel press light
AFE dry Filter air intake
Firestone AirBags
PACBRAKE first gen exhaust brake
NO CHIP
MAG-HYTEC diff cover
Autometer pillar triple gauge pack

burndiesel 11-17-2014 02:26 PM

Forgot to mention:

in diagnosing the Engine Stumble problem, while the truck was experiencing the Engine stumble/miss I would engage the Cruise Control. As soon as the C C was engaged the engine stumble would go away! C C off, Engine Stumble would come right back. I would not leave the C C on very very long, as I did not want the C C dead pedal problem to happen.

-What I don’t understand is, the common component in the CC/ Engine Stumble problem is the TPS, BUT it was replaces 2 years ago and didn’t fix the CC problem. To Clarify the Engine Stumble started approx. 6 months ago. And why would the C C problem occur consistently, yet the Engine stumble is intermittent?

-This is a late 2001 truck with one cable running to the TPS, hence the C C is controlled by the ECM? Would this mean that there is strong possibility of a problem with the ECM and/or wiring to the ECM? With the intermittent nature of the engine stumble, and the fact that it takes an hour or 2 for it to occur (things to heat up), problem with the ECM not surprise me.

I am very tempted to send the ECM and PCM in to be tested and have the components replaced that are prone to break down. SIA Electronis in Illinois seems like the best option from what I have researched.

gh0stman 11-18-2014 04:36 AM

What is your Fuel Pressure? The low pressure light is not a safe thing to use when it comes to you fuel system. You should get an actual gauge with numbers.

crazycooter 11-22-2014 10:11 AM

those codes seem to point to your vp44. Sad but true...

Just-Another-Dieselguy 11-24-2014 08:38 AM

This codes are pointing to more than the vp44
I'm Afraid the ecm may be having issues.
But then again a bad vp will cause crazy things as well

standen2001sport 08-28-2015 02:49 PM

hey I'm tyler new to this forum so I read some things on here earlier about adjusting the apps sensor on my 2001 cummins and I decided to see if it was gunna work well once u take the cover off the throttle linkage take out the six 10mm bolts n them the to torque screws the apps sensor comes right out well I read take the flat screws out n take the two plates apart and there should off been a bolt to turn left or right to increase or decrease the volts to the apps but I cudnt locate the bolt to adjust n I'm tired of my engine light being on n the code I get is low volts to the apps what do I need to do?

Just-Another-Dieselguy 09-02-2015 04:15 AM

Tyler. My recommendation is to create a new thread for your truck and the issue you are having,
Welcome to diesel bombers

Rockin-coal-01 09-03-2015 03:57 PM

Doom screamers

Originally Posted by Just-Another-Dieselguy (Post 1080756)
This codes are pointing to more than the vp44
I'm Afraid the ecm may be having issues.
But then again a bad vp will cause crazy things as well

Hi guys, everyone immediately screams about vp44 and ECM. I have a bit of experience with this. I experimented on my personal 24v vp44 before employing any of it on several customers trucks, so far 4-5 times you just need to adjust the apps. I bought my 01 having the same issues as original poster. Every one screamed the end was near so I figured what would it hurt to adjust my apps and all my problems went away. So before spending gobs of $ just try your apps. And the screw you're looking for will be like a throttle position idle adjust screw.

OldManSturzl 12-06-2015 03:15 PM

I have had these exact problems plus a little more. I have solved the cc problem but still chasing the stutter. I noticed the cc problem first. It would kick out, drop to idle and lock out the throttle. (dead pedal) In addition it went into high idle and had to restart ignition to reset/fix both. I don't think the high idle is related because it now does this after any prolonged period of driving without shutting down. I couldn't recreate the cc problem no matter what I tried, it was completely random and no codes. Then I started noticing a stutter like a miss but only at certain rpms. Tried setting cc at these speeds and it would stop the stutter but cc still had same problem.
It wasn't until the ABS started acting up that I discovered the solution to the cc problem. About a year ago, the ABS started kicking on at 15 mph. Every. Stinking. Time. That got old fast so I pulled the fuse until I could get it into the shop. That also disabled cc, speedometer and odometer. When we hooked it to the diagnostic computer and drove it we noticed the speed sensor in the front driver side would read 0 mph below 15 mph mimicking a wheel lock. Replaced the one sensor and fixed both the ABS and cc problem. My guess? It would randomly short and this would confuse the ECU defaulting it to safe mode. The cc with the manual transmission is completely controlled by the ECU and not the vacuum system like the auto. I just had to repair a vac line on mine and still had cc while 4wd and hvac selector stopped working.
I'm still tracking down the stutter. Mine is actually worse when the engine is cold and never throws codes so I'm reluctant to assume TPS. My current theory is a sticky /malfunctioning wastegate. Don't have a boost gauge to monitor it so it's hard to tell. Might replace it anyway and see what happens. I'll let you know what I find.

GremlinHunter 12-14-2015 02:31 PM

Multiple Codes- all related to Votage?

Sorry deleted my post . Was trying to start a new thread.