24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Fuel pressure problems

Old 05-20-2014, 08:21 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pressure problems

1999 3500 24valve 2nd generation factory lift pumps don't last. Have already replaced 5 with last 3 being under warranty. Which one would be better air dog or fass and where can I get a manual fuel pressure gauge to mount in cab

Old 05-20-2014, 12:49 PM
Diesel Fan

Fass seems to have a better reputation than airdog lately. Try Diesel Manor for Isspro mechanical gauge.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:46 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by greed
Fass seems to have a better reputation than airdog lately. Try Diesel Manor for Isspro mechanical gauge.
Thanks for info.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:24 PM
Diesel Fan

I was where you are about 6 months ago. Did alot of research. The thing that sold me on FASS over airdog was the customer service. I called airdog and tried to find someone to talk to but they told me to call back some other time. I called up FASS and they were VERY helpful with everything. The rumor ive heard is airdog was started by the son of the FASS owner. Apparently they didn't agree on things so he tried to start up his own business and i suppose that didn't work out so well. I was told airdog has switched owners multiple times so its hard to get a warranty replacement if your pump goes bad. FASS has had the same owner since its start up. Plus i called the guy who sold me my FASS yesterday to ask him some questions about gauges and tie ins and he picked up on the first ring and stayed on the phone until my questions got answers. Very satisfied with there customer service! My FASS works great and is quiet too. Just my 2 cents.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:26 PM
Diesel Fan

Oh and btw DO NOT BUY GLOWSHIFT GAUGES!!! They look kewl but I've had nothing but problems with my fuel pressure gauge. VDO and autometer are good bets from what I've heard.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:26 PM
Diesel Fan

Ordered FASS adjustable lift pump, Put it on Thursday night started right up, drove to work Friday no problems able to tack over 2k RPMs. Drove today Saturday left me stranded wouldnt start turn over fine till I ran batterys down, Got son to come jump me we cracked line at filter inlet and truck started right up drove about 45 minutes home shut off and tried to crank turned over several times before cranking, after cranking I cracked all injector lines 1 at a time have fuel at all lines. shut off tried to start same thing round and round before starting. any help welcomed.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:28 PM
Diesel Fan

hmmm....i had trouble geting mine going when i installed it but not after. My truck takes a couple seconds longer to fire up since the FASS but usually does pretty easy. How much fuel is in your tank? Might be an air leak somewhere in the line also? But if you have 1/8 of a tank or close to it you might try putting some fuel in it.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:37 PM
Diesel Fan

I have between 1/4 and 1/2 a tank, its almost like i am loosing prime on my system

Old 06-01-2014, 08:34 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id say you have an air leak somewhere

Old 06-01-2014, 08:57 PM
Diesel Fan

Checked all connections, seems to be tight, don't see any fuel on line from tank to filter at VP44 so I would say line don't have any holes. next I am going to fill tank with fuel and see if she starts better if so then it must be inside tank so then I guess I will drop tank or pull bed to access and check suction tube in tank.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel pressure problems