24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Need help with locking brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 01:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with locking brakes

I have a 3/4 ton 4/4 disk front drum rear abs and the brakes lock up at slow speed. The pads and shoes are in good shape and does not appear to be any leaks in the system. I have seen this discussion before just wondering if anyone had any new info.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:52 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it the front or the rears that are locking up?

Old 12-01-2013, 08:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Front for sure may be all.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:57 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

In most cases the rear lock up. Its actually very rare for the front to lock up. Drums will lock up first drive due to moisture. Also pretty common to have weak springs or incorrectly adjusted shoes to cause a lockup.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

The following users liked this post:
Russ Roth (12-02-2013)
Old 12-01-2013, 11:25 AM
Diesel Fan

mysterync is correct, the rears are common to lock up the first couple of times after the truck as sat overnight or for any length of time when it hasn't been driven. However, the front can lock up, and in my experience, a new set of calipers is an inexpensive fix. The best way to check would be in loose gravel... just brake like you normally do and see which tires are skidding. If it is the front, the first thing I would check would be the calipers to make sure they're installed properly. If everything seems to be installed correctly, my only other question would be about the possibility that the pistons make be sticking.

If it ends up being the rear drums, remove the wheel and drum and check for any sign of brake fluid leaking from the wheel cylinder. Over time, the rubber seals can break down and form leaks that will cause some pretty violent grabbing. If you see brake fluid, wheel cylinder replacement may be in order. They can be rebuilt, but it's cheaper to replace them... and make sure you do them in pairs. If no brake fluid, check the wheel-cylinder-to-backplate mounting location and see if there's any possibility that water/debris could be entering the drum. If so, silicone is your best friend (it's actually recommended when replacing the wheel cylinder to seal the backplate...). Like mysterync said, check all the springs to see if they're abnormally loose or broken. A spring/hardware kit is something like $5.00 at your local parts store. If all your hardware seems fine and you see no leaks, I would replace the wheel and drum and do rear brake adjustments. Drive the truck forward. Brake to a complete stop. Drive the truck in reverse. Brake to a complete stop. Repeat the process 6-8 times. That should tighten them up if they're out of adjustment. You can actually spin the little star wheel yourself, but it's a PITA.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Pokechop; 12-01-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:47 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

Originally Posted by Pokechop
mysterync is correct, the rears are common to lock up the first couple of times after the truck as sat overnight or for any length of time when it hasn't been driven. However, the front can lock up, and in my experience, a new set of calipers is an inexpensive fix. The best way to check would be in loose gravel... just brake like you normally do and see which tires are skidding. If it is the front, the first thing I would check would be the calipers to make sure they're installed properly. If everything seems to be installed correctly, my only other question would be about the possibility that the pistons make be sticking.

If it ends up being the rear drums, remove the wheel and drum and check for any sign of brake fluid leaking from the wheel cylinder. Over time, the rubber seals can break down and form leaks that will cause some pretty violent grabbing. If you see brake fluid, wheel cylinder replacement may be in order. They can be rebuilt, but it's cheaper to replace them... and make sure you do them in pairs. If no brake fluid, check the wheel-cylinder-to-backplate mounting location and see if there's any possibility that water/debris could be entering the drum. If so, silicone is your best friend (it's actually recommended when replacing the wheel cylinder to seal the backplate...). Like mysterync said, check all the springs to see if they're abnormally loose or broken. A spring/hardware kit is something like $5.00 at your local parts store. If all your hardware seems fine and you see no leaks, I would replace the wheel and drum and do rear brake adjustments. Drive the truck forward. Brake to a complete stop. Drive the truck in reverse. Brake to a complete stop. Repeat the process 6-8 times. That should tighten them up if they're out of adjustment. You can actually spin the little star wheel yourself, but it's a PITA.

Hope this helps!
One point worth mentioning might be the bigger wheel cylinders in the rear if your working the truck.

Old 12-01-2013, 01:06 PM
Diesel Fan

It's actually funny you mention that. That was my problem. Oversized wheel cylinders worked great when the previous owner of my truck hauled 27k lbs, but not so much for my everyday driving. So, yeah, mysterync, good point!

Old 12-01-2013, 01:25 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

Originally Posted by Pokechop
It's actually funny you mention that. That was my problem. Oversized wheel cylinders worked great when the previous owner of my truck hauled 27k lbs, but not so much for my everyday driving. So, yeah, mysterync, good point!
Empty they sure can be tricky

Old 12-01-2013, 01:31 PM
Diesel Fan

You got that right! Downtown driving, eight lanes of traffic, and when I hit my brakes, I know my rear axle was hopping off the pavement a good inch or so. Bought me a new set of cylinders and a new pair of pants and that fixed both of my problems! Lol!

Old 12-04-2013, 05:05 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

was having this same problem. turned out previous owner had them assembled wrong. I installed all new everything a few months ago, but can not figure out why the driver's side brake makes a "chirp, chirp, chirp" while driving forward, but not while in reverse. Its possible that the new cylinder I installed on that side is bad, or maybe the return springs.....with the drum off and someone else pushing the brakes everything appears to be fine. I thought maybe I installed the wheel bearings wrong or faulty ones, but while lightly pushing the brake and driving the chirping stops. guess ill silicon the backing plate and see if its moisture.....

Quick Reply: Need help with locking brakes