Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   Water in passenger floorboard (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/116679-water-passenger-floorboard.html)

zach2 11-10-2013 05:59 PM

Water in passenger floorboard

Hey fellas and gals! It rained here for several days last week and I used the defroster and ac because is was still warm. After the rain, I noticed a LOT of water in the passenger floorboard. It wasn't on my Husky floor liner, but underneath. Is it ac drain related or leaky something else. I can't imagine that I left the door ajar and there's no evidence on the glass or door panel as such. All help, as always, will be greatly appreciated!

jigabop 11-11-2013 11:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
hvac drain might be plugged up, or the drain seal might be bad...

you can check if its plugged by running a screwdriver or something through the drain tube from outside the truck on the passenger side of the firewall.

if it is not plugged, and is leaking from the drain seal, then you will have to pull the dash and hvac box to replace that seal. the seal is $6-8 from dodge.

looks like this:

Attachment 34639

zach2 11-11-2013 07:54 PM

Thanks! Is it possible that could have generated enough water to saturate the carpet and insulation like it did? Of course I dont know how long it has been dripping. Thinking outloud...

jake74 11-11-2013 09:27 PM

Yes it will saturate the carpet. Look at passenger side firewall under the hood,the drain is kind of under the dryer bottle. Just take your air blower and blow some compessed air in the drain,that should unclog it. Mine did this and that fixed it.

jigabop 11-12-2013 01:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
all kinds of crap ends up in those drains and your evap core..

these trucks have no cabin air filter, so anything that goes through the cowl under the wiper on the passenger side of the windshield will end up in your hvac box and end up plugging up your evap core and your hvac drain...

this is what my evap core looked like after 13 years of service:

Attachment 34636

when my heater core started leaking, I replaced the heater core, evap core, and drain seal all together while I had the hvac box out.

Burch 11-12-2013 03:24 PM

When this happened to mine I checked it and the drain was not plugged. Took it to the dealer and he said after alot of years the drain just wears down and does not extend far enough out of the firewall for the water to drain outside and it seeps back in. He took a piece of rubber hose probably .50-.75 inside diameter and slipped over the drain extending it out further and it has not been a problem since. Hope this helps.

tiremann9669 11-12-2013 06:29 PM

Could also be leaking around the windshield :c:

zach2 11-13-2013 04:43 PM

Thanks everybody! I hope to find the problem and fix it soon. I havent put the seats back in yet after a week. The foam isulation has taken forever to dry out! Thanks again.