Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   Whine From Rear Axle (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/11620-whine-rear-axle.html)

Queeg 04-12-2008 03:43 AM

Whine From Rear Axle

so im on vacation in maui so quik replies will be hard untill next friday. but as i was driving home on tuesday night a whine started coming from the rear of my truck.. i think its the rear axel. not sure . i did souble check all fluids all around . tranny/transfercase/engine oil etc.

making the same noise as my dakota did when i blew the seal in the rear end.. there was some play in the drive shaft at the axel.. i have been towing my trailer a bunch again.
any other ideas before i tear down and give the rear end a nice going over?. im going to be short on cash for a few weeks when i get back. so i do want to be hunting gremlins!

thanks in advanced!

DangerousDuramax 04-12-2008 03:55 AM

Your spider to pinion clearance is out of tolerance.

Whit 04-12-2008 08:21 AM

my rear axle has whined from day one................its been good for 130k now and temps always run good

cumminsnorth 04-12-2008 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by DangerousDuramax (Post 147082)
Your spider to pinion clearance is out of tolerance.

I think you mean pinion to crown.

As for your issue is the noise there all the time?

Check your pinion shaft for play I had the pinion bearnings go out and made a whining noise. If your short on cash you can just replace the pinion bearings but chances are your noise would stay unless you change the crown and pinion

Queeg 04-12-2008 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by cumminsnorth (Post 147121)
I think you mean pinion to crown.

As for your issue is the noise there all the time?

Check your pinion shaft for play I had the pinion bearnings go out and made a whining noise. If your short on cash you can just replace the pinion bearings but chances are your noise would stay unless you change the crown and pinion

the noise doesnt start till i hit about 50 mph. it quiets down a little when im not on the throttle. but when i coast it makes a slight thumping noise.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

just thinking about it. i do think i had a lot of slop in the gears. could turn it almost 15-20 degrees

Queeg 04-17-2008 08:02 PM

ok i just got home and crawled under to play around. how hard would is it to work on the rearend. and can i do it on the truck. i would have to work on it in the parkinglot at my shop. so having it torn apart to much would be a nono!

can the pinion gear be adjusted. how hard is it?

bearing ?

should i take the hit and rebuild it all?

Benjamin 04-17-2008 08:06 PM

what about the possability of the pinion nut backing off making the pinion move in and out some. i saw that on an F150 one time. it was making all sorts of noise and the nut almost backed all the way off where the yoke (or whatever it is that the driveshaft bolts to) maybe this is the problem..... it's easy to check this just dissconnect the DS and try to tighten the nut some and see if it moves relativly easy....

Uncle Bubba 04-17-2008 08:09 PM

I won't touch those gears in there myself. To many tolerances, backlashes and spacings that all have to be right on the money or they tend to grenade themselves for me to pay in there.

Mr.Krabs 04-18-2008 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Benjamin (Post 149177)
what about the possability of the pinion nut backing off making the pinion move in and out some. i saw that on an F150 one time. it was making all sorts of noise and the nut almost backed all the way off where the yoke (or whatever it is that the driveshaft bolts to) maybe this is the problem..... it's easy to check this just dissconnect the DS and try to tighten the nut some and see if it moves relativly easy....

Yep,could be that,I've seen it a few times in a D-60,need to replace that nut every time.

Queeg 04-18-2008 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Benjamin (Post 149177)

ill look at this first. the more i platyed with it last night. the more this look like the biggest possibility . ill let everyone know tomarrow what i find. now off to work and then to the shop.

thanks for all the ideas.
ill krepp you posted