Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   EGT question (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/115363-egt-question.html)

Texas Pride 09-16-2013 06:10 PM

EGT question

im new to this but I know high egt's are a death sentence, is there anything I can add on or do (besides controlling my big ass right foot) to keep them down?

jigabop 09-17-2013 02:49 PM

what kind of temps are you seeing?

for the record: you can run 1250* all day long safely. going beyond that into 1300-1500 = grey area....don't stay in that area too long and you're fine...above 1500 = you're asking for trouble...

RedChevy44 09-17-2013 10:24 PM

Compound turbos will help keep temps down, as long as you don't add to much fuel to that extra air. There is also water-meth injection.

Rayrod 09-20-2013 11:13 PM

a bigger turbo or coumpounds, aftermarket cam shaft, better air intake and or exaust. all can bring egt down. I've heard that those fancy aftermarket intercoolers don't really do much. but they say they bring egt down too.

GHOST806 09-24-2013 10:23 PM

def intake mani. and exhaust mani. possibly a cold air?, an ATS heater delete will also help keep them down.

jigabop 09-25-2013 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by GHOST806 (Post 1027564)
def intake mani. and exhaust mani. possibly a cold air?, an ATS heater delete will also help keep them down.

I see you are a bit of an ATS fanboy...

bit overpriced if you ask me.

as for all of the above you listed... all not necessary. increased timing and quality injectors matched with a properly sized turbo or turbos for the application will keep egts in check without all that extra crap.

I have no problem with EGTs and do you see any of that???

http://www.digital-anarchy.com/image...bc8ac865c7.jpg

factory exhaust manifold, factory intake horn, and factory grid heater still in place and I am running 6x.013 injectors... If I crank my power up all the way I can see 1300-1400* on absolute maximum performance settings, but I don't daily drive with those settings. too smokey and too jumpy on the road.

with power turned down to a streetable level (around 460hp) I can't get it over 1200* and on economy mode I can't get it over 1100*

and these are temps pulling all the way out to redline in 6th gear WOT.

water meth is a bandaid and not a real solution to the problem. properly matched turbo(s) and injectors for your use and desired power from the truck is the real fix.

Texas Pride 09-26-2013 08:32 AM

Thanks guys, I always heard over a thousand was the danger zone so I was getting pretty scared because just going down the road I run mid to high 700's, if going uphill it would get close to 900 but if I got on it and was trying to get up to highway speed quick it would get to around 1100 and If I romped on it, it would hit 1200+, does all this sound normal for my 2001? I wish I could afford a new turbo set up but I cant, it already has a 5in. turbo back, a 150 fass fuel, and a quadzilla, so next paycheck is a aftermarket intake, any suggestions on the best for performance and also gives a nice turbo whine?

jigabop 09-26-2013 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Texas Pride (Post 1027715)
Thanks guys, I always heard over a thousand was the danger zone so I was getting pretty scared because just going down the road I run mid to high 700's, if going uphill it would get close to 900 but if I got on it and was trying to get up to highway speed quick it would get to around 1100 and If I romped on it, it would hit 1200+, does all this sound normal for my 2001? I wish I could afford a new turbo set up but I cant, it already has a 5in. turbo back, a 150 fass fuel, and a quadzilla, so next paycheck is a aftermarket intake, any suggestions on the best for performance and also gives a nice turbo whine?

your temps are fine. I cruise down the freeway at 700-800*

you don't need an aftermarket intake... if you insist, get a BHAF. the shiny metal tubes do NOTHING for performance...the inside of that rubber intake boot you have is already smooth. the inside is not like the outside. the outside is just ribbed for strength, the inside is smooth as a baby's butt.

if you want more sound from the turbo, delete the muffler, and remove the silencer ring.