24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

No power til warm

Old 08-04-2013, 10:50 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No power til warm

O.k. I think I have my last problem taken care of but on to the next.
I have noticed that sometimes I will start the truck and it will idle just fine but when I put it in gear it will have no power til warm. My fuel pressure is between 10-13psi when its doing this, and when its running normally.
Sometimes when this happens I will read 0 boost and then it will kick in all at once and start to pull like mad. Today when it happened I was showing that the boost was fine but there was still no power until I got a mile or two down the road and everything seemed to normalize.
I am running Rotella T triple protection and an AFE filter. Just changed the oil before this started happening. I have no oil leaks to speak of.
Any ideas?

Old 08-05-2013, 01:16 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

you shouldn't be running a diesel hard on a cold motor anyway.

and how cold are we talking here?

it does take heat and pressure to spool a turbo, and diesel fuel burns better warm/hot than it does cold...

you can always check and clean your IAT sensor

Old 08-05-2013, 03:15 PM
Diesel Fan

When I say cold I just mean that it hasnt been fired in a while and the engine has been brought down below operating temp. I am in TN and its summertime so its 80-90 here. I used to drive DT466s at work everyday so Im not super new to driving diesels, just owning one.
I will try and clean the IAT today and see how that does.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:05 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i imagine your truck is an automatic? if so it is your torque converter. it just needs a little time to catch up from sitting. not sure why this happens maybe someone on here might know, but before i put my manual in my truck would do the same thing if i didn't let it run for 3 mins or so.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:44 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by dango
i imagine your truck is an automatic? if so it is your torque converter. it just needs a little time to catch up from sitting. not sure why this happens maybe someone on here might know, but before i put my manual in my truck would do the same thing if i didn't let it run for 3 mins or so.
I actually have a nv4500 in mine. I do have a little clutch chatter but I think its from the dual disk.