Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   VP or ECM Which do I need (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/113466-vp-ecm-do-i-need.html)

harry o 07-01-2013 06:21 PM

VP or ECM Which do I need

My truck is bucking like a bare back horse with a needle in his ass ... My codes were 1693 and po602 ... Do I replace the VP44 or the ECM ... If its the VP44 where do I get one ? If its the ECM where do I get one ? Thanks Harry o:scare2:

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Oh !!! I have a fuel pressure gauge ... Its at 15 psi sitting there running and goes down to 10 on the road pulling my backhoe ... I can clear the codes and it runs great for a few days then its bucking like a horse again ... I took off my EDGE and that made it a little better ... Just don't buck as hard now ...

Red_Rattler 07-01-2013 06:56 PM

Are these codes read with a reader or just through the key cycle and displayed on the dash? P1693 is a companion code and there's more that go along with it.

Also with the P0602 here's the dealership trouble shooting

DTC P0602: ECM FUELING CALIBRATION

Monitor & Set Conditions
Engine Control Module (ECM) fueling calibration error is monitored when ignition is on. DTC may be stored if any parameter is out of range for one second.
Possible Causes
Good Trip Counter Equals Zero
ECM
Testing
1. Turn ignition on with engine off. Using DRBIII(R) scan tool, check for DTCs. If Good Trip Counter for DTC P0602 is displayed and equal to zero, go to next step. If Good Trip Counter for DTC P0602 is displayed and not equal to zero, DTC is not present at this time. Using scan tool, clear DTCs. Test is complete.
2. At this time, conditions required for DTC to be stored are not present. Ensure ignition is on with engine off. Using scan tool, read and record FREEZE FRAME data. Road test vehicle under conditions displayed in FREEZE FRAME data parameters. Check for pertinent technical service bulletins that apply to vehicle. Update ECM calibration using required equipment. If ECM calibration is updated before reading FREEZE FRAME data, the FREEZE FRAME data will be erased. Using scan tool, check for DTCs. If DTC P0602 does not return, test is complete. If DTC P0602 returns, replace and program ECM. See appropriate REMOVAL, OVERHAUL & INSTALLATION article. ECM is located on driver's side of engine, just in front of fuel transfer pump and contains a 50-pin connector.

harry o 07-02-2013 06:50 AM

Red Rattler ... Sounds like you really got it together ... Thanks so much for youre help ... Where do I buy a ECM ? Ive got to find a good Dodge 24 V mechanic around here to help me program my new ECM when I find one ... I was pretty good at keeping 16 tanks and 16 M113s running while I was in the army in 1969 & 70 but they didn't have ECMs & PCMs ... Good luck with youre Agent Orange Brother ... I got my knee & ankle hung in a tank turrent in 1969 and looks like Iam finally going to be service connected ... Just got back from QTC ... :jump: