24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Do's and dont's of buying a Cummins

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 03:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do's and dont's of buying a Cummins

Hey y'all. Names Andrew, I'm 17. I've been a heavy duty diesel fan since I was little. My first word was actually tractor. I recently acquired a job in the construction industry with my stepdad, and want to reward myself with my first truck because it took a ton of hard work to get to this point. I am set on a Cummins. While I respect Ford, Chevy, and Gmc, and love some of their trucks, I want a Cummins. I'm looking in the 10-15 grand range. I want a second gen 4x4. I'm looking for as close to stock of a motor I can get. Here's why I an telling y'all all this. I need to know what to look for when searching. What are re weak links of Cummins of these years, and how can I fix them? I've heard of fuel delivery system problems, the 53 block cracking, front wheel Hub bearing problems, etc. I know these trucks are bulletproof, and I can't wait to own one myself. Any and all reliability, advice, comments, and remarks are welcome. I love talking to other truck guys, and love learning from guys who have walked the walk. I'm not looking to have an extremely upgraded truck, becaus the stock 24 v puts up like 530 ft pounds of torque, which is plenty. I just want to do the thing that'll make my cummins go forever, no matter which one I buy. Thanks y'all! C'ya

Old 05-27-2013, 09:58 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Save money for the price of the truck and a lift pump at minimum. Stock ones are garbage and if you don't take care of it soon you'll end up putting it off. I have a raptor 100 and it should be enough. Go bigger if you have big hp/tq plans. If you plan to modify for any power above stock plan to do something to the trans. Plan ahead, being young doesn't mean you have to be dumb.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:44 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ Agree with above, save up and upgrade your push pump immediately, fuel pressure gauge, and your usual, boost, pyro, trans temp if u get an auto. Do the preventative measures before you start putting the power to her itll pay off in the long end of things!

Old 05-29-2013, 03:04 AM
Ltk
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

check for the 53 block stamped above the oil pan on the drivers side, check the play in the steering and front end components, check for excessive amounts of blow-by, when you go to look at a truck, cold start it yourself.

an aftermarket lift pump (raptor, airdog, fass, etc.) and some gauges (pyro, boost, fuel pressure, and tranny temp if auto) will all set you back about $1000~. more if you pay to have someone install them. so be prepared for that right after purchasing the truck.

the stock lift pump on these trucks isnt enough to supply the correct fuel pressure to the injection pump (which will fail and is EXPENSIVE), so do this first thing.

make sure the previous owner didnt have a programmer on it with the stock lift pump or you will be in for some trouble with that injection pump!

if you're wanting to add a programmer be prepared to beef up the auto tranny, or if manual, be prepared to add an upgraded clutch soon after power is added

any questions you need, just ask!

Old 05-29-2013, 09:40 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't forget to check the pump wire! if there has been any cutting, splicing, or any thing like. that most likely some one has had a box on it and has removed it