24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

new to 5.9 cummins and want to beef it up , newbie here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 09:46 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wanting to do? I wanna acheive roughly 450hp, now whats the diff betweeen edge comp and edge ez? Like ill mostly like to drag the truck . I rarely tow. But when i do it would be nice to get the option "tow". Now running my hx 40 . Injector 150 or 175hp? And whats this injectors on ebay for 150hp for 450$ (6) ... Is there such thing as a china injector knock off garbage or they all work the same?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

My stock injectors... What are they good for?

Is it possible to get 150 hp nozzles and get them installed on my stock injectors?

Last edited by guimond47; 05-12-2013 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-12-2013, 09:52 PM
Ltk
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

the difference between the edge comp and the edge EZ is the power gains. the edge ez doesn't have the option to tap the injection pump wire, so itll only add about 60 hp at max. also it is about half the price of the edge comp. around $250~ i believe. the edge comp will allow more options to be chosen, and taps the injection pump wire, so you can gain more horsepower from it (not sure on the numbers).

i had an edge comp on mine, butended up selling it and buying the smarty s03 for the simple fact that i felt more comfortable with less horsepower available to keep the truck reliable. i also liked the tire height speedometer correction abilities and the DTC reader. the smarty has 9 available programs ranging from half power, mileage, etc. the comp could be dialed in more due to the fact that you have 5 power ranges, but 5 sub-settings within each of those 5. kind of hard to explain, try to find your choices on the internet and read a little more about them before purchasing.

dont skimp on injectors, this is just my opinion, but i would NOT buy injectors off of ebay. never in a million years..

Old 05-12-2013, 09:58 PM
Diesel Fan

^ thanks so techanicly the edge comp is the best for acheiving power points . Does it also have the fuel eco mode? Im pretty much sold on the edge conp... And also ive bought injectors on ebay for my 6.5 paid 250$ ish they were tested and worked great! They were no boshe.... If anyone has opinions on with injector rating i should get for my setup please chip in thanks and or some where for a good price on them too

Old 05-12-2013, 09:59 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by guimond47
Wanting to do? I wanna acheive roughly 450hp, now whats the diff betweeen edge comp and edge ez? Like ill mostly like to drag the truck . I rarely tow. But when i do it would be nice to get the option "tow". Now running my hx 40 . Injector 150 or 175hp? And whats this injectors on ebay for 150hp for 450$ (6) ... Is there such thing as a china injector knock off garbage or they all work the same?

My stock injectors... What are they good for?

Is it possible to get 150 hp nozzles and get them installed on my stock injectors?
An edge ez is a little module that will gain you roughly 60-65 hp tops. The comp is an all out power adder, I believe it can add up 150 hp. I have the comp on mine, I don't go past level 2. reason my auto trans wouldn't last long anymore than that.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:04 PM
Diesel Fan

Example :

(6) 24V 150HP Cummins Injector Nozzles 1998-2002 Dodge Ram 5.9 24 valve Diesel | eBay

If they say they are boash and noted then why wouldnt i buy them other ten that it would be false advertising and id get my money back.... Anyone buy somethin like this ? What would be the con of this?

Old 05-12-2013, 10:12 PM
Ltk
Diesel Bomber

i prefer bosch remans for peace of mind

but yes, the edge comp is a lot more power. definitely going to be looking towards a clutch upgrade once you add the comp and some bigger injectors. i could slip the clutch very easily with the comp..

the edge comp doesnt necessarily have a "mileage" tune, but lots of guys run them on level 5 with a level 5 responsiveness (also heard of as 5x5). everyone claims the 5x5 is the best for fuel mileage BUT you must keep your foot out of it. drive it like a grandpa (very hard to do once you feel the power)

heres the power levels
Level 1: 40 Horsepower - 150 Foot Pounds of Torque
Level 2: 60 Horsepower - 200 Foot Pounds of Torque
Level 3: 80 Horsepower - 250 Foot Pounds of Torque
Level 4: 100 Horsepower - 300 Foot Pounds of Torque
Level 5: 120 Horsepower - 350 Foot Pounds of Torque

after choosing a power level you choose a responsiveness (low boost fooling) level.
number 1 being least responsive, 5 being most reponsive.

heres an installation guide and you can read more into detail on how to use the box and choose which level and sub-level best suites you

http://www.edgeproducts.com/product_...manual-211.pdf

you will need adobe reader to read it, or some form of PDF reader program installed on your computer

Originally Posted by guimond47
Example :

(6) 24V 150HP Cummins Injector Nozzles 1998-2002 Dodge Ram 5.9 24 valve Diesel | eBay

If they say they are boash and noted then why wouldnt i buy them other ten that it would be false advertising and id get my money back.... Anyone buy somethin like this ? What would be the con of this?
they have 100% feedback and look like a good seller, so i wouldnt be too concerned with it. you have a 14 day money back guaruntee

the only hassle i could see is if something goes wrong, you have to mess around with shipping which drives me insane

Last edited by Ltk; 05-12-2013 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-12-2013, 10:14 PM
Diesel Fan

Yes^ thats what im getting at ... Again that a pretty good price . Now whats a better option ? 150hp or 200hp injectors?

Old 05-12-2013, 10:26 PM
Ltk
Diesel Bomber

no clue bud, my truck has stock injectors

someone else will chime in here sooner or later, join some other forums too to get a wider range of opinions and answers

im on here, Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, and Competition Diesel Forums

tons of good people on all 3 of these

Old 05-12-2013, 10:29 PM
Diesel Fan

Okay thanks man . Can i still make 400hp keeping my stock injectors? My cummins motor has roughly 400,000 miles on her . Any other mainetenance she should get before i juice it ?

Old 05-12-2013, 10:34 PM
Ltk
Diesel Bomber

before doing anything get a good aftermarket lift pump like an airdog, fass, raptor and also a fuel pressure gauge, pyrometer gauge, and boost gauge. and if your going to use an automatic a tranny temp gauge and save the money for a rebuild soon..

if going with a standard, give southbend or valair a call and tell them exactly what your plans are with the truck as in racing, daily driving, towing, a mixture of all, etc. they will hook you up with a strong clutch to hold up well to your power level.

i have no clue what kind of HP you can make on stock injectors. i just know that pretty much the route people follow is:

1. lift pump
2. gauges
3. programmer
4. clutch/built auto
5. injectors
6. turbo
...etc, the list goes on, but thats pretty much what i have gathered as the best order to do things.