24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Alright boys what does this mean?

Old 03-16-2013, 09:22 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Alright boys what does this mean?

Well my ABS and BRAKE light are on. I don't have abs when I brake and the pedal is soft. Brake fluid level is fine! I just think the ABS system went so what should I do?

Attached Thumbnails Alright boys what does this mean?-image.jpg  
Old 03-16-2013, 10:46 PM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

How is the power steering fluid, and how does it feel to steer? Brakes are hydro boost, could be a steering pump pressure issue.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:08 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 310 Likes on 299 Posts

Try changing out your PS fluid and flushing the system. could be that your fluid may be foaming up. Air bubbles entrained in your fluid are compressable and will cause a soft pedal. If you dont already use it, refill with ATF4 syn trans fluid. Could be something as simple as this.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:56 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Does your speedometer work? If not, probably the speed sensor in the rear diff went out. It is easy to change.

If it does work or it doesn't and you just want to verify the problem, have someone use a scan tool to pull the trouble codes from your abs module. Diagnose it from the trouble code. Better than 90% chance if the speedo stopped, the speed sensor went out.

You also mentioned your pedal was soft. Is it abnormally soft. Hydro boost units can have a spongy feel to them if you compare them vacuum brake booster equipped truck. If you drive it normally, you will never notice it but if you are checking it and start pushing on the pedal hard you can over power the resistance of the hydro boost.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:44 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i have the same problem everything works but cruise i get a abs and brake light when i go over 60 mph i replaced the rear speed sensor before this problem bc the speedo quit it was good for about 2 months maybe i should try a dodge oem sensor?

Old 03-17-2013, 08:19 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 132 Likes on 94 Posts

Whoa a second guys.. Start out here first.
Mopar1973Man's Dodge Cummins Articles - Antilock Braking System (ABS)

Power steering pump or fluid will not trip the ABS / Brake light combo.

Brake fluid might but it would have to be seriously black.

Mine typically...

As for me I'm also fighting the ABS / BRAKE light. What happen to me is the driver side cable broke in half. So I bought the new driver side sensor and installed. But now the passenger side on the driver side are mismatched and no longer so the ABS computer keeps setting the code because of mismatch between left to right. So now I got to replace right side too. I always suggest replacing both sensors as a pair and I didn't heed my own warning and got hung on it too. (D'Oh!)

Last edited by Mopar1973Man; 03-17-2013 at 08:22 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:58 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Mopar man. Thank you for saying that because my reservoir is dark. You can clearly see where the fluid is from te color of the fluid. But my pitman arm is leaking pretty bad that's we're the air bubble could com into play but the steering feels fine. SPEEDO still works its off by 5 but it's always been. I'm hooking up the scan gauge as we speak ill be back with codes

Old 03-17-2013, 11:20 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i dont think my truck has front abs sensors

Old 03-18-2013, 07:21 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Ok so no codes.. Fluid is really dirty and I went for a drive down my street and the abs was working but after braking on the ice it finally came on and the abs stopped working! What now

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Ok drove it for about an hour stop and go and the lights never came back on... HUH??

Last edited by SRTcummins; 03-18-2013 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-18-2013, 09:16 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

if the light is on it should have codes. make sure you have a scan tool capable of communicating with abs.

Search this Thread