24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 11:22 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Rainman44
Head weights about 200lbS deff head stud and fire ring it
Don't fire ring it, it will give constant issue.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Old 02-10-2013, 05:12 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

heres a picture of where i can see puddles

Name:  da06f979-6032-4c67-a942-747fe742e136_zps0e9fc4f9.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  27.7 KB

and its leaking over to the other side of the head where thermostat is im guessing head gasket for sure i really dont want to change i was hoping it wasnt leaking

Old 02-10-2013, 06:38 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't fire ring just do a new gasket and at least the mid strength arp head studs I know guys running a 120psi of boost on the stock gasket with the high strength stud I've pushed 70 on my 06 and I just have a stock gasket and the mid strength stud

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Filtering is a lot more common on 2nd gens tho they arent as strong as the 3rd or 4th gens my 02 is fire ringed got about 4000 miles on it all drag racing haven't had a prob yet

Last edited by Rainman44; 02-10-2013 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-10-2013, 07:37 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

what all gaskets do i need head gasket manifold and valve cover seal

Old 02-10-2013, 08:00 PM
Diesel Fan

Valve cover seal isn't needed just don't mess it up when you take it off and all you'll need is the gasket between turbo and manifold also your heater grid gaskets I'd leave the manifold on the head you can use it as a handle

Old 02-10-2013, 08:03 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

Originally Posted by Rainman44
I wouldn't fire ring just do a new gasket and at least the mid strength arp head studs I know guys running a 120psi of boost on the stock gasket with the high strength stud I've pushed 70 on my 06 and I just have a stock gasket and the mid strength stud

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Filtering is a lot more common on 2nd gens tho they arent as strong as the 3rd or 4th gens my 02 is fire ringed got about 4000 miles on it all drag racing haven't had a prob yet
You really don't have any clue what your talking about do you? Fire ringing is a failure waiting to happen and should be used in only extremely high boost/timing applications. O-ringing is a more reliable solution that doesn't remove the firering of the gasket only compresses it with a o-ring cut in the head. As far has "strength" I've not seen any differences in material quality in head, block or gasket that would indicate one year or generation sealing surface was better than another and I've installed over 100 5.9l gaskets in the past 7 years. Fire ringing when used in daily driving applications typically fail quite quickly, be it the heat cycles and inadequate warm up times or just the nature of the setup. To be completely honest with you i think you made my case when you indicated that 120 psi was possible on a factory gasket with studs, the most ive ever seen with studs and factory gasket was 75 and it blew shortly after. When we made consecutive dyno pulls with my vp truck all above 830rwhp on spray it was ringed and saw around 75-90 dyno or street.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:05 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

Originally Posted by blacksally
what all gaskets do i need head gasket manifold and valve cover seal
Head set, valve stem seals, intake horn and plenum gasket, thermostat seal, exhaust gaskets and i recommend freeze plugs. Might want to grind the valves while your in there to. Don't order your gasket until you know the amount removed in the surfacing or you'll take a risk on getting the wrong gasket. Make sure the head is surfaced on a actual surfacer not a belt.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:54 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by mysterync
You really don't have any clue what your talking about do you? Fire ringing is a failure waiting to happen and should be used in only extremely high boost/timing applications. O-ringing is a more reliable solution that doesn't remove the firering of the gasket only compresses it with a o-ring cut in the head. As far has "strength" I've not seen any differences in material quality in head, block or gasket that would indicate one year or generation sealing surface was better than another and I've installed over 100 5.9l gaskets in the past 7 years. Fire ringing when used in daily driving applications typically fail quite quickly, be it the heat cycles and inadequate warm up times or just the nature of the setup. To be completely honest with you i think you made my case when you indicated that 120 psi was possible on a factory gasket with studs, the most ive ever seen with studs and factory gasket was 75 and it blew shortly after. When we made consecutive dyno pulls with my vp truck all above 830rwhp on spray it was ringed and saw around 75-90 dyno or street.

Really my buddy's 1998 stock head gasket arp high tensile 135psi for 125000 miles now a truck I built 05 about 120 stock head gasket arp head high tensile I put that truck together 6 years ago no problem so there 2 thing here one the boost gauges on 2 different trucks or wrong (there auto meter ) or your wrong maybe you have seen them that high but that's not even as high as people say they are running on a stock gasket around here and I have heard that fire ringing isn't all that for a daily driver I've never heard of this o ring I've built about and I will go in the books and check but around 500 cummins I started in 04.5 when I bought my first truck and that was my test dummy a lot of guys are ok on cummins ok on duramaxs and ok on powerstrokes I know one motor when to countless different training on this one called cummins

Old 02-11-2013, 08:57 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

:rolleyes:
Point proven...its ok not to know....its not ok to try and give advice and act like you know when you don't. No one here will criticize or attack you for not knowing. But if you think the mods and members will let you spread nonsense information to individuals who are going to make expensive modifications and repairs you've got another thing coming. Now chances are if he was going to make 120 lbs of boost he would already know your full of it....its the idea that you could cost someone thousands with bad advice that bothers me. Btw, im not trying to attack you personally, only the incorrect information given.

Last edited by mysterync; 02-11-2013 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:10 AM
Diesel Fan

How the **** is that incorrect we do that **** all day here and my comment of the 2nd to 3rd gen is that the 3rd gens stock handle more psi look I just got off the phone with premier performance ( I just orderd a 64 mm silver bullet for a customer) the guy I was talking to said he bought an 01 brand new by 03 he was pushing 150 psi all he has done in stock head gasket and arp high tensile studs said the truck had 30 k when he did all this back in 03 truck now has 235 no that's what he said not me the highest I've seen is about 120 on a stock gasket and yes I think it's sketchy but guys are doing and the theory behind it is gasket only blow when the head studs stretch so they say the high tensile will not stretch at all if it don't then the gasket stay in tack I'm not trying to give bad advice guys around here like to push the limits I don't and you never answerd my one question is a did 200 air dog gonna be bad on my 06 in Theroy I don't think so cause what fuel the cp3 dosent need goes back to the tank what your take that's one thing I don't fully understand thanks

Quick Reply: head gasket?