Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   4x4 Acuator Question (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/108890-4x4-acuator-question.html)

Jazz 02-08-2013 04:15 PM

4x4 Acuator Question

Hey does any one know how many lbs of vacuum it takes to activate the 4x4 actuator? The reason I ask is my seal is going bad between the power steering and vacuum pump and I have the kit to repair but just haven't had the time yet. Anyways yesterday when I went to use 4wd I had none. Thought it could be because of lack of vacuum but it had been working. Also I get no 4x4 light on the dash. Shouldn't the light still come on? Maybe it's the actuator itself. Any ideas on this. I know the seal needs to be done but I'm waiting for a little nicer weather. I really need 4wd with a dually unless I carry a couple thousand lbs. in the bed.

mytrucksmokesmorethanme 02-08-2013 05:12 PM

quick down and dirty test, pull the actuator , KOEO, and shift to 4wd, if the fork moves
actuator is fine, , they are prone to corrosion and if they get water inside it could be a exspensive repair
for the light, ground the two teminals and light should illuminate, if not check the cluster bulb

Bryce 02-08-2013 05:16 PM

I don't know how much vacuum it takes but the 4x4 light won't come on until the fork in the acuator moves. You might take a look at the acuator to make sure the vacuum line and the wires for the light are hooked up.

Jazz 02-08-2013 05:19 PM

Vacuum lines all looked good and wires seem to be good. My guess is actuator. Anyone ever try a 4x4 posi lock 4x4 Posi-Lok Positive Axle Engagement System for Dodge 4x4s

lol Love your status Bryce

mytrucksmokesmorethanme 02-08-2013 05:32 PM

im a big fan of keeping things as stock as possible , but this kits looks like a cool idea

Jazz 02-08-2013 06:59 PM

I kind of thought the same thing. Just wondering if anyone here has tried it or knows of someone who has

diesel pap 02-08-2013 09:03 PM

the hillbilly fix is to remove the fork and center the piece where it is suppose to be in 4wd. then tack on each axle so it cant move. it will be in place every time you need it. only down side to this is the tack weld on the axle if you are removing them to put joints in. :hellox:

Ed ke6bnl 02-09-2013 08:57 AM

do a youtube search there is a simple cable attachment to make that will make it manual from the cab. I got all the parts and and extra CAD but have not done it yet.

chadcycle 2500 02-10-2013 08:19 AM

get a vacume hand pump,goto the actuator one line is to engage the other is to disengage,jack up one front wheel,put vacum on each line,it should (a) hold vacum (b) move shiftfork/collar. The reason for jacking up the wheel is to move it a little to make sure the splines on the collar&axle engage.The light switch is at the actuator,so when itgoes into 4wd then makes contact. Does the heater control work,If that works right I'd think the 4wd should. Get a vacum gage & check the vacum atthe pump,mine leaked and every thing worked.The valve for the 4wd is on top of transfer case.hope thishelps:tu:

Jazz 02-10-2013 08:33 AM

Yes heater controls work. That's why I was wondering how many lbs of vacuum it took to activate the actuator. I know the heater controls work off vacuum also but thought maybe it took more for the actuator. I think the actuator just went out. Plain and simple. I think I'm going to look into that posi lock some more. I kind of like that idea. I really like the idea of having a 2 low also. That could come in very handy with backing some heavy trailers on hard surfaces:tu: