Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   Weird Shudder/Vibration (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/108777-weird-shudder-vibration.html)

tommycin 02-05-2013 11:08 AM

Weird Shudder/Vibration

So I have a 2001 2500 4x4 QC CTD.....I have only owned it about six months but there is a issue that seems to be progressively getting worse. MAINLY on the freeway, when I get into it really hard I get a VIOLENT whole vehicle shake, if i let off of the gas it immediately goes away. It seems to be aggravated when I have my Edge Comp box on, but will do it at a much less level even without it. It also seems to do it with the shift going into its final gear. I have become a pro at feathering the pedal to keep it less noticable but if I harp on it it feels like the truck is going to shake apart. Once cruising along never feel a thing...smooth as can be, once a hill comes up and have to give it the gas comes back again until i let off. In the city have NEVER felt it even if HARPING on it, it seems to me has to be in a higher gear to feel it. I know this topic has been asked but it seems every scenario is different, so i tried to be very specific with my particular situation. No other shifting/vibration issues other than this one. :argh:

Bryce 02-05-2013 12:04 PM

Auto or manual trans?

tommycin 02-05-2013 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bryce (Post 986234)
Auto or manual trans?

automatic...sorry

Bryce 02-05-2013 12:15 PM

Does the steering wheel shake making the truck hard to control?

tommycin 02-05-2013 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Bryce (Post 986240)
Does the steering wheel shake making the truck hard to control?

nope....its pretty much a horrible vibration in the body...so much the dash even shakes but not so apparent in the steering wheel. Driving control is unaffected.

Bryce 02-05-2013 12:34 PM

Check the u joints in both drive shafts. If there is any play replace them. Turn overdrive off and see if the vibration is still there. I am leaning toward the torque converter clutch is slipping on you which would require replacing the t/c. Might try a trans fluid/filter change.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Also check your tires for any bulges or tread separation

KillStroker 02-05-2013 01:12 PM

Check to and see if your tires need re balanced. Sounds stupid but i did it and found out one of my tires were out of round mustve been to much mississippi drinkin water that night.

AlaskanRenegade 02-05-2013 02:26 PM

Wooooo! Death wobble! Lol

It may be your tires, my dads 08 6.7 3500 is HORRID because the tires are unbalanced

JBearSVT 02-05-2013 04:36 PM

Check your engine mounts too.

Zukifreek 02-05-2013 07:19 PM

I'll bet it's torque convertor shudder. You need a convertor. On my 01 it shook so bad the dash vibrated. When you let off the throttle the convertor unlocks. I knew my tranny had been rebuilt a few years earlier so I bought a single billet convertor and installed it myself. Problem solved. Don't waste money on a stock convertor, they were marginal stock, and with any programmer at all they will fail.