24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

nerf / step bars with bed access

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 06:41 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default nerf / step bars with bed access

Time to replace mine. Was going to go with NFAB, but heard from more than enough people that the quality is not there. I'm looking elsewhere. Looking for a good quality set that will hold up to harsh winters. I'd like something fully sealed, not with open ends that can rust easily. Possibly powder coated in silver or stainless steel to match the bottom my truck. If anyone has any opinions on brands to go with (good, bad or indifferent), please let me know. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails nerf / step bars with bed access-truck2.jpg  
Old 01-31-2013, 08:38 AM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

If I were to do it again, I wouldn't go N-Fab, as you know. If I had the $$, I'd buy 6 individual steps. Then you can put them where you like, instead of having them where someone else thinks they should be.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:32 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

so whats the deal with the NFAB bars?? are they just built weak or cheap or what?? i myself was getting ready to order a set. took my junk ones off about three years ago and the wife has whinned ever since figured i need new ones now. i like the NFAB design up close to the rocker, my old ones snow and ice would get stuck inbetwqeen the rocker and the bar didnt like that. any info will help thanks

Old 01-31-2013, 10:12 AM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

I had a massively bad experience with them. Mounting holes didn't line up, and when I called in I was a lair. I took pictures, using a laser to align the holes and show how far they were off, and emailed them in. I was still a liar.

The front of my tubes are NOT sealed, crap gets in there all the time, where there is no power coat, and is likely rusting away inside. The backs are sealed with a plastic cap that regularly loosens off. Every Monday morning I give both a smack to push them back in.

I don't think the steps are in the right place, but they must have done their research. The steps are also small. I can only get the toe of my steel toes boots on the step without turning my foot on a 45.

The "grip" on the steps, might as well not be there. It's a plate with 8 - 10 bumps that protrude upward. Definitely not designed for winters.

They look great, function poorly. There wasn't much option for nerf bars of that style when I bought mine 3 years ago. Not too sure if the market has expanded or not. If you have a 3rd gen, options are endless.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:22 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Also, you look look online for reviews for anyone that has had them for a while, say over 3 years, most are not happy with the way they are holding up. That is if they live in a area with snow, salt, etc. Lots of issues regarding fit too. It's a shame...they look great! I'm looking at Go Rhinos stainless ones. They have a limited lifetime warranty. I doubt it covers shipping to send them back tho... Looks as if they are sealed on both ends but I must confirm. More info to come as I get it. I figured, I'd reach out to others as well.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:49 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is interesting.... They do look damn good that's for sure!!!! The go rhinos are even more pricey aren't they??? I can't remember I looked the other day

Old 02-08-2013, 10:42 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Bummer on Go Rhino. They don't make them for our trucks. Too bad, they offer ones in stainless with welded end caps. I'll have to keep looking.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,052 Likes on 557 Posts

I run Westin nerf bars. I like them.

Westin Automotive

The following users liked this post:
chuffysplace (02-10-2013)