24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Tranny problems 98.5 cummins nv4500

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 02:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny problems 98.5 cummins nv4500

When I go to shift from 2nd to 3rd its hard as hell to get it out then into gear at 2grand rpm it's all I have to shift 3rd to 4ths not bad then 5ths usually fine sometimes I can even float 4th to 5th. The other day I put it n 3rd goin down a big hill pushed the clutch in rpms when to bout 900 witch it usally idals around then started increasing as I built speed on the hill clutch still pushed in got up to around 1700 then i let out an they went up more an it held the truck back more. The truck has 280xxx on it all stock except for BHAF an strait pipe stacks. Been thinking bout a programmer but I need to get the tranny worked out first to hold up. Any help is appreciated. Could it just be I need to go new clutch pressure plate? Witch should I concider choosing when I do?

Old 01-24-2013, 11:28 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

did you ever replace the clutch and how many miles are on the current one in your truck??

Old 01-25-2013, 12:42 PM

No as best I knw the clutch has never been replaced. My dad owned it since it was bout a year old. I think he had the 5th gear problem fixes a few years ago bout that's all I knw that's been done to the tranny. It has 280000 miles or it will hit that n the next day or 2 anyways. I was thinking bout an upgrade to the south bend dual disk setup for awhile then it started acting up. At first I was thinking syhros but. It seams as if the clutch ain't fully releasing to me. I want to program the truck eventually any ideas on what I should do to get the nv4500 ready to hold up?

Old 01-25-2013, 01:04 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

id try changing the oil in it, and put some type of gear/syncro mesh additive in

Old 01-25-2013, 01:33 PM

Last week I checked the fluid an it was bout a quart an a half low I filled her up with some Lucas gear oil that said it was good with gl4. For a while I've notice some oil on the back of my motor but the engine oil levels been good so I'm guessing the tranny's leaking around the front seal i dont know if it could have soaked my clutch in oil but it don't slip at all? Were can I get gear syhcro mesh additive from?

Old 01-25-2013, 05:11 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

to me it sound like a clutch problem,it could tranny also . I would ck the clutch out first

Old 01-25-2013, 07:38 PM

Thanks kind of what I was thinking ill probly go ahead and Change clutch maybe fly wheel and pressure plate. I've been looking at south bends street dual disc I think from what I understood it comes with all this an a bigger input shaft. Does anyone knw for sure and is it worth it. The trucks my daily driver but sometimes I pull with it. Im I going in the right direction or should I choose a different clutch?

Old 01-25-2013, 09:16 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

If your going to have the tranny out anyways for the clutch replacement. I would highly suggest rebuilding the syncros, and bearings just because of the miles. They aren't that hard to do if you have patients in your tool lineup.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:00 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BarryB
If your going to have the tranny out anyways for the clutch replacement. I would highly suggest rebuilding the syncros, and bearings just because of the miles. They aren't that hard to do if you have patients in your tool lineup.
I agree with Barry with that manymiles it would be a good thing to do

Old 01-27-2013, 01:11 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Have never used a southbend clutch, so I couldn't tell you about that, but a Dual disc is defiantly worth it in my opinion. The street dual disc Are made for towing which will be a plus also if you ever start installing performance mods, most street dual disc's will hold up in the 550hp to 650hp range depending on what clutch. This is what I know for valair, southbend may be different. also it wouldn't be a bad idea to consider doing what BarryB and Rrimpa suggest.
Andres

Quick Reply: Tranny problems 98.5 cummins nv4500