Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   stock filter housing question (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/108098-stock-filter-housing-question.html)

grizzzly17 01-21-2013 10:49 AM

stock filter housing question

i want to remove my stock filter housing and was wondering if the two plugs that connect to the filter, if i dissconnect them will it throw codes or screw with my ecm and all that? i think ones a heater and the other one is a pressure sensor?:humm:

Ed ke6bnl 01-22-2013 08:32 AM

I removed mine and no codes to put in an air dog. I also removed the pump and put in a aluminum plate so I could reuse the same bolts in the intake to take up the space of the pump mount.

colinheitshusen 01-22-2013 09:00 AM

Youll want to keep your heater. anything below -10 and mine liked to freeze up without the heater. Just run your air dog Fuel line to the back of your filter houseing and than back out, than to the Pump.

grizzzly17 01-22-2013 05:41 PM

ok cool, ya i was wonderin about the heater cause its cold here, bout 0 or below in the mornins, but my airdog is hosed directly to the vp44 and skips the stock filter. does the heater work like the block heater that connects to a wall outlet? or like the glow plugs when the key is in the run position? thanks

RAW 01-22-2013 06:17 PM

The fuel heater uses 12 volt power form the truck. I believe the ECM measures fuel temperature to determine if the heater is energizer or not.

grizzzly17 01-22-2013 07:11 PM

ohh ok, does the heater make a big difference with starting in the cold? also would it be to much resistance on the air dog to have 3 filters inline? doubt it would be but just curious.

MBFD 592 01-22-2013 08:22 PM

when I installed my air dog I left the stock filter in place for the heater, and the water in fuel light. no problems so far.

colinheitshusen 01-22-2013 08:32 PM

No the air dog wont have a problem pushing fuel past the original filter. you can leave it empty anyways. starting isnt the issue, its when its running is when you get problems cause its not running by a heat source at all. And like RAW said the fuel heater only works when needed

North Maine 01-22-2013 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by grizzzly17 (Post 981819)
ohh ok, does the heater make a big difference with starting in the cold? also would it be to much resistance on the air dog to have 3 filters inline? doubt it would be but just curious.

Not only starting, but to STAY running as well. My FASS is plumbed to feed the stock filter so fuel can continue to be heated when needed. Even with that, today at -10 I was freezing my FASS filters up and the truck was stalling out at anything over low-rpm idle. Once the truck had idled for 30-40 minutes (and a healthy dose of DIESEL 911) I was able to hit the road without bucking, smoking, and stalling.