Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   clutch install (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/107828-clutch-install.html)

Rayrod 01-14-2013 09:20 PM

clutch install

how long approximately is a clutch install on my year of truck. never done one any tips? tricks

GuyWithA24Valve 01-15-2013 10:40 AM

It all depends on the space you have to work in, tools available, and if you have help or not. I dropped the whole tranny, transfer case, and cross member out as one piece and I wouldn't do that again. It was just too heavy to push back together once the clutch was in. I suppose it took me 12 hours total, and it was my first time doing it.

shellinger 01-16-2013 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by GuyWithA24Valve (Post 979903)
It all depends on the space you have to work in, tools available, and if you have help or not. I dropped the whole tranny, transfer case, and cross member out as one piece and I wouldn't do that again. It was just too heavy to push back together once the clutch was in. I suppose it took me 12 hours total, and it was my first time doing it.

sorry to get a little off topic but i was wondering how you like your south bend dual disc clutch? how is the engagement? does it rattle bad at all? did you get the upgraded hydraulics or no? if not how does the clutch pedal fee? im torn between a sb ofe single or the dual disc sb 3250.

H.R.D 01-16-2013 07:00 PM

It is a pretty easy job.

This video is of an 04, but the process will basically be the same:

Here is a homegrown video:

GuyWithA24Valve 01-17-2013 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by shellinger (Post 980345)
sorry to get a little off topic but i was wondering how you like your south bend dual disc clutch? how is the engagement? does it rattle bad at all? did you get the upgraded hydraulics or no? if not how does the clutch pedal fee? im torn between a sb ofe single or the dual disc sb 3250.

I love my 3250 so far! I have about 500 miles on it. I did get the upgraded hydraulics, and they're very easy to put in. The clutch engagement is just as smooth as my stock one. The clutch pedal feels just like the stock one did. It doesn't take much effort at all.

Sent from my iPhone in the cab of a Caterpillar

shellinger 01-17-2013 04:12 PM

what mods do you have done to your truck if you dont mind telling? i just want to make sure i am not getting a clutch that is way over kill for my trucks power level. i have everything thats in my signature

GuyWithA24Valve 01-17-2013 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by shellinger (Post 980582)
what mods do you have done to your truck if you dont mind telling? i just want to make sure i am not getting a clutch that is way over kill for my trucks power level. i have everything thats in my signature

Everything I have done to my truck is in my signature in the second post of this thread. I forgot about the rattle too. I can only hear it rattle when i shut the truck off in neutral with the clutch pedal out, and it makes more noise when I lug the transmission in lower rpms and step on it

shellinger 01-18-2013 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by GuyWithA24Valve (Post 980676)
Everything I have done to my truck is in my signature in the second post of this thread. I forgot about the rattle too. I can only hear it rattle when i shut the truck off in neutral with the clutch pedal out, and it makes more noise when I lug the transmission in lower rpms and step on it

we have very similar mods, so im not over doing it, now i cant wait til my clutch slips so i have an excuse to pick one up.