Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   Beginners Guide Input! (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/106278-beginners-guide-input.html)

H.R.D 12-07-2012 02:35 AM

Beginners Guide Input!

1 Attachment(s)
Okay gents and gals we need to get a beginners guide put together for our new vp44 owners. We need longevity mods and diagnostic info for the common problems. I have put together some things that I can think of right now. But I do need and want everyone's input. Once we get a good database going I or someone can take all the info and compile it into a beginners guide and we will make it a sticky. So think hard and think simple!

Here is what I have so far:

Longevity Mods

1. Fuel pressure gauge... (digital or analog)
2. Quality aftermarket lift pump... (Airdog, FASS, Raptor, FuelLab...etc)
3. Gauges... (Pyrometer, Transmission Temperature *Automatics*, Boost)
4. Upgraded valve body and torque converter *Automatics*

Diagnostics

1. Apps Reset
2. VP44 Diagnostics VP44 Diagnostic

Bryce 12-07-2012 12:08 PM

Need to add injector bleeding procedure to the list.

1999stroker 12-07-2012 12:22 PM

Fuel filter change maybe tie that into bleeding the system.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

H.R.D 12-07-2012 02:25 PM

Keep it coming guys. If you find a good write up on how to do a certain task post that as well.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Longevity Mods

1. Fuel pressure gauge... (digital or analog)
2. Quality aftermarket lift pump... (Airdog, FASS, Raptor, FuelLab...etc)
3. Gauges... (Pyrometer, Transmission Temperature *Automatics*, Boost)
4. Upgraded valve body and torque converter *Automatics*

Maintenance/Diagnostics/Resets

1. How to reset/calibrate APPS
2. VP44 Diagnostic
3. Oil Change Procedure
4. Fuel Filter Change Procedure
5. Repriming a VP44 Injection System

1998.5-2002 Service Manual

(Ask me, H.R.D and I can email it to you)

EggosBrother 12-07-2012 03:46 PM

how about the (gauge)sending unit install process, those questions seem to be quite popular. Boost to the intake bolt, pyro tapped in to what exhaust manifold runner, where to tap for fuel pressure etc...

Death wobble....

along with gauges, the acceptable "max or min" readings for each. i have read through the controverial minimum FP for a VP but at least a rough idea so if a newbie sees 5psi they know its a problem.

explanation of draw straw w/lift pump replacement and explanation of removing in-tank pump if upgrading.

to go along with the fuel system items, faulty fuel gauge.... being dead on road w/gauge reading +-1/4 tank = you are out of fuel (a rookie experience i may or may not have had) that goes along with priming the injectors.

this could get somewhat elaborate considering most new members disregard the search function and you see multiple post of the same quesiton. maybe a closing statement on the sticky of "USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION" not that i do not believe in taking the time to post to help someone new but, every once in a while you get 5 straight posts on 4"vs 5" exhaust

RAW 12-07-2012 03:49 PM

I know it's more work, but I'd like to see the link be internal. Otherwise, we look like we are advertising for a site that is more knowledgeable.

Write up the How To's, I'll move them to the Tech area, then we can make a sticky with links to our our Tech area. Doesn't matter if it is copy and paste of exactly what other sites have, let's just keep the material here.

This site has a TON of info:

Ram Diesel Index

I try not to direct people there, but to take that info and share it here.

H.R.D 12-07-2012 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by RAWilliams (Post 969276)
I know it's more work, but I'd like to see the link be internal. Otherwise, we look like we are advertising for a site that is more knowledgeable.

Write up the How To's, I'll move them to the Tech area, then we can make a sticky with links to our our Tech area. Doesn't matter if it is copy and paste of exactly what other sites have, let's just keep the material here.

This site has a TON of info:

Ram Diesel Index

I try not to direct people there, but to take that info and share it here.

So you want me to make threads for everyone of those and then link those threads to the beginners guide?

daveO 12-07-2012 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by H.R.D (Post 969278)
So you want me to make threads for everyone of those and then link those threads to the beginners guide?

Sounds like a good idea to me. That way too, if someone is searching for something in particular, it will be easier to find. :tu:

I've been toying with the idea of doing this for 12 valves for a while now. Maybe one of these days, I'll get around to it. lol

H.R.D 12-07-2012 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by daveO (Post 969365)
Sounds like a good idea to me. That way too, if someone is searching for something in particular, it will be easier to find. :tu:

I've been toying with the idea of doing this for 12 valves for a while now. Maybe one of these days, I'll get around to it. lol

Very true DaveO. Yeah we need to get some more organization and more extensive knowledge base through out DB. :tu:

shellinger 12-07-2012 10:31 PM

what about a guide on adjusting valve lash?