Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   Popping noise when braking/turning. (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/105241-popping-noise-when-braking-turning.html)

SRTcummins 11-14-2012 07:32 AM

Popping noise when braking/turning.

I get this popping that you can feel through the floor and steering wheel sometimes when i press the brakes. its something to do with the front end because you can feel it like jerk almost when it happens. could it be the vacuum pump? the leak is getting pretty bad and im going to replace the seals very soon. Or could it be the front end? i have a little pull to the right but its not significant. My tires looks likke a slant almost / \ <- like that but not as steep. I GOT CAMBER lol

Any ideas?

Smarty=Cummins 11-14-2012 07:48 AM

Jack up your front end n put your hands in the center of the rim and see if you can move it in and out if it moves slot then it's your front bearing which are expensive. Then put one hand on top and one on the bottom of the tire n see if you can move it if u can then you need to replace ball joints.

SRTcummins 11-14-2012 08:08 AM

I dont think its the bearing. but my ball joints seem like the problem. Some times when i turn fast enough i can feel the truck roll over my tires. hard to explain but my tires would turn and then my cab would feel like it rolled over the tires.

Very hard to explain!:s:

Bryce 11-14-2012 09:31 AM

Is it 4x4? If it is the u joints on the axle will have those symptoms when they are going out.

SRTcummins 11-14-2012 01:14 PM

Yes it's 4x4. I don't use 4x4 that often but I still know it spins but could that alone wear it out?

RAW 11-14-2012 01:50 PM

How are your brakes, rotors and pads? Could be your track bar, they are notorious for wearing out on these truck. It will give you that wavy feeling while turning sharply.

H.R.D 11-14-2012 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Bryce (Post 960461)
Is it 4x4? If it is the u joints on the axle will have those symptoms when they are going out.

I agree with Bryce here on the U joints.

Originally Posted by SRTcummins (Post 960525)
Yes it's 4x4. I don't use 4x4 that often but I still know it spins but could that alone wear it out?

Yes

RAW 11-14-2012 02:27 PM

Make sure you double, triple check the front drive shaft axle u-joints. The shaft between the t-case and front diff. If one completely fails, you could be looking at an oil pan, t-case, and everything else in that area that the shaft to flail into. It just happened to a friend about a month ago.

SRTcummins 11-14-2012 03:12 PM

I have all new brakes in front. Pads and rotors but ok track bar and how do I check for a bad u joint

RAW 11-14-2012 03:56 PM

Wiggle the shaft clockwise, and counter clockwise, look for play in the u-joints. lift up and down, side to side, look for play. The shaft should be very solid, and only able to rotate as a single unit.