Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   Fuel Pressure sensor location?? (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/103711-fuel-pressure-sensor-location.html)

Cummins821 10-13-2012 05:38 PM

Fuel Pressure sensor location??

Hi, I'm in the middle of installing my glowshift fuel pressure gauge sensor and was wondering where is the best place to locate it. Glowshift says under the fuel filter housing but I have a FASS fuel system, will I still get a reading at the fuel filter housing? I opened it up and there wasnt much fuel in there and seemed dry, is this stock fuel filter housing serving no purpose now? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bryce 10-13-2012 06:16 PM

If it is a fass with filters the factory filter is not used and you put the sensor in the fuel line between the fass and injection pump. If it is fass ddrp then you install it between factory fuel filter housing and injection pump.

Cummins821 10-13-2012 06:21 PM

okay it's a fass 95 with the filters, is there anwhere on the lift pump the sensor could be installed or only on the line itself between the lift pump and injection pump. Appreciate your reply. Thanks!

Bryce 10-13-2012 08:05 PM

No. No where on the pump itself. You can put it right beside the pump if you want to but it still needs to be between the pump/filters and the injection pump. That way when pressure starts to drop you know its time to change filters.

Cummins821 10-13-2012 08:17 PM

Okay I will thanks. I would assume some kind of T device would be needed and run some sort of fuel rated line to the sensor mounted on the fender or firewall to reduce vibrations? Any better way?

Bryce 10-13-2012 08:30 PM

Now if you're looking for some where to put the sensor without cutting lines and installing adapters, there should be a 1/8" npt port where the fuel line goes into the injection pump (unless the banjo line was replaced when the fass was installed). You can put the sensor there but having the sensor next to the ip can cause the "water hammer" effect. You will need this Autometer snubber (AUTOMETER FUEL PRESSURE SNUBBER RESTRICTOR CUMMINS | eBay) or you can make your own. Check this link out to learn more about water hammer and making your own snubber. Mopar1973Man's Dodge Cummins Articles - Fuel Pressure Gauge And Water Hammer Effects

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by Cummins821 (Post 948716)
Okay I will thanks. I would assume some kind of T device would be needed and run some sort of fuel rated line to the sensor mounted on the fender or firewall to reduce vibrations? Any better way?

Yes you would have to buy a T adapter to cut the lines and install the sensor.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

You need to fill out your signature with all the info on your truck. Like 4x4, auto or manual, Fass 95, ect. It will help us answer your questions. Top left corner click on user cp then edit sig.

Cummins821 10-14-2012 12:07 PM

thanks again for the all they help!glowshift sent me a snubber valve when I ordered the gauge so I believe that will work. When the FASS was installed they put it from the lift pump right to the VP. So that banjo line was by passed. My only question is what type of tubing or line can I run from the T to the sensor?

Bryce 10-14-2012 12:46 PM

Just go into your parts store and ask them for fuel rated hose in whatever length you need.

Cummins821 10-14-2012 06:03 PM

thanks for all your help, Bryce!

Bryce 10-14-2012 06:52 PM

You're welcome. Thats what this forum is for. When you cut your line and install the sensor you are going to get air in the system. Before you try and start it, bump the starter and let the lift pump run. Do this 5 times. If it won't start after doing this you will need to bleed the injector lines. If you need any more help just let me know.