Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   Turbo rebuild (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/102692-turbo-rebuild.html)

nelson86m 09-23-2012 10:27 AM

Turbo rebuild

Has anyone rebuild there hx35 turbo, how hard is it, and what all parts do i need? also seen the kits on ebay, has anyone used these are they any good?

BarryB 09-23-2012 10:49 AM

interested in this myself, I'm considering rebuilding mine also. I have a cousin in law that messes with turbo Mitsubishi's and buick grand nationals. He told me about this site for turbo parts. G-Pop Shop

nelson86m 09-23-2012 11:29 AM

Cool, i will check them out.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

I also have another question, i checked my turbo for play side to side and back and forth, and have almost no play at all, how do you tell if it needs rebuilt? and the reason i was wondering about rebuilding it is because when boost is at 20psi or higher and let off the throttle i get a chattering sound from it, mostly does it when towing heavy loads.

wyodiesel92 09-23-2012 11:59 AM

Sounds like your describing turbo bark. Happens when at high boost levels when you let off the go peddle too fast and causes the turbo to surge.

dodge rodder 09-23-2012 08:33 PM

on the ebay turbo rebuild kit, i just did mine and i haven't had any problems with it,

fahtb0y 01-20-2013 01:13 PM

It's easy.
The hardest part is getting the exhaust housing off. Use some heat evenly around housing and stay away from center section with torch. The giant snap ring holding the compressor housing on is a pain to get back on. Look around here and other forums for instructions with pictures maybe even youtube

shellinger 01-20-2013 01:54 PM

a little side to side play is ok. when the turbo is on and oiled is flowing to it, most side to side play is diminished. if you can pull the shaft forward and push it back then its time to rebuild.

countycoalroller 01-26-2013 04:08 PM

i used to rebuild turbos professionally and the stock cummins turbos are very easy to rebuild. there isnt much to them but you will want a good set of snap ring pliers to take the old bearings out and to replace the new. also make sure not to over torque the turbine wheel and compressor wheel when you have it as a cart. if you do that you will burn up te bearings alot faster than you should. shouldnt take more than 3 hours total time since its your first one. i was building them in 20 min back when i did it everyday. and yes some side to side play is normal but front to back is death. good luck!

CumminsCrazed 01-27-2013 08:23 PM

hmmmm, mines got some play, but it looks like it may have contacted the housing one or two times....is that need to rebuild? also im getting a strong burnt oil smell out of exhaust at start up or when ui rev it, never at idle....is that bad seals in turbo leaking oil by?