Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   HELP me out please, new raptor... (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/101508-help-me-out-please-new-raptor.html)

Renteria1217 08-31-2012 07:43 AM

HELP me out please, new raptor...

So a few weeks ago my truck started dying randomly. Had a really dirty fuel filter so I changed it. While trying to prime the system to start it I almost had it started but noticed the stock pump sounded weak and then it went dead, couldn't hear it at all. Thinking the pump was bad, I ordered a raptor pump and installed it. Got it all hooked up, turn the key and bump it and nothing. The new pump isnt kicking on at all. Ive been working out of town and I need to get home with this truck. I really need help figuring this out. Please help me out guys. Thanks...mike

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Anyone?

Dock 08-31-2012 08:28 AM

Do you have voltage going to it?
Is it the frrp setup or on the frame rail?

Renteria1217 08-31-2012 09:23 AM

Its frrp set up, mounts were the old one went. I have not checked voltage. I will here soon. If no power what could it be?

Just noticed my wait to start light isn't coming on either

RAW 08-31-2012 10:26 AM

Check all your fuses and relays, make sure they are working. Bumping the starter, but not starting the engine, will make the pump run for about 25 seconds.

Renteria1217 08-31-2012 10:41 AM

Checked the fuses and relays, don't really know how to tell if the relay is bad. Already bumped it, like I mentioned above, it does nothing. Tried swapping the fuel system relay with the ac relay and still nothing. No wait to start and lift pump not priming.

RAW 08-31-2012 10:54 AM

With the relays, the easiest way is to replace a questionable one with one that you know works. Honk the horn, if the horn works, replace the lift pump and horn relays. If the horn doesn't work, and the lift pump does, then you know which one is bad.

Renteria1217 08-31-2012 12:51 PM

I'll try that. I've been reading up and it sounds like it could be a dirty sensor or the ECM. What sensors should I check, where are they, and is there a way to know if it's the ECM?

Switching relays doesn't tell me anything. With the horn relay out the horn still works. Did switch them anyways and it did nothing for the fuel pump.

Is there a fuse terminal I can just wire it to so it only turns on when the truck turns on? Is the power terminal to the fuel pump setup through the ECM so it can prime and then turn off? In other words if I do wire it to a fuse terminal will It prime automatically and shut off like its supposed to so I can start the truck and the. Run again once started? Or will I have to run it to a toggle switch and prime it manually?

Farmboy 2.0 08-31-2012 01:34 PM

Im thing to check and I bet you already have is make sure the fuel pump connection is good. Sometimes those seem like they are fully connected but they arent.

Renteria1217 08-31-2012 01:50 PM

So I checked the plug on the truck that you plug the pump into and no power. Called Airdog and they seem to think its the ECM. So if I wire the pump to the fuse box and toggle switch to get running, will I damage any other parts, injection pump, etc? Also of the ECM is bad will I need to unplug the chip?

Farmboy 2.0 08-31-2012 01:52 PM

did you swap the relays?