Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/)
-   -   boost problem (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/97900-boost-problem.html)

mnwild_05 06-18-2012 07:09 PM

boost problem

alright something is up with my engine. I'm trying to finish up my drag truck, it's a 92 12 valve and i just upgraded my h1c with the 60mm compressor. i now have zero boost and the engine misses bad with tons of white smoke. the turbo spins fine and i'm going to check the intercooler tonight. has anyone heard of the gasket between the compressor and the center section blowing out and leaking the boost? any other ideas?

turbo2332 06-19-2012 09:01 AM

white smoke is normally timing or bad injector. i would def look at timing first. you could have messed up the center cection of the turbo to be getting all the white smoke aswell. is there any oil in the intake system? if so a run away engine very easily could happen to you.

gregt1989 06-19-2012 03:48 PM

white smoke is not enough fuel. is your idle too low? the only time ive had white smoke is when my fuel shutoff was ripped out and it wasnt getting fuel

mnwild_05 06-19-2012 11:09 PM

it idles fine, when i give it throttle it starts missing and never builds any boost. if my timing was off i would still build some boost wouldn't i?

H.R.D 06-19-2012 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by mnwild_05 (Post 906668)
alright something is up with my engine. I'm trying to finish up my drag truck, it's a 92 12 valve and i just upgraded my h1c with the 60mm compressor. i now have zero boost and the engine misses bad with tons of white smoke. the turbo spins fine and i'm going to check the intercooler tonight. has anyone heard of the gasket between the compressor and the center section blowing out and leaking the boost? any other ideas?

Originally Posted by gregt1989 (Post 907061)
white smoke is not enough fuel. is your idle too low? the only time ive had white smoke is when my fuel shutoff was ripped out and it wasnt getting fuel

READ!! Diesel smoke colors

paidoff 06-20-2012 05:30 PM

How was the truck running before you did the last bit of work to it? If you ran the truck and it was fine then did the work and then fired it up right when done and it had the prob then I would go over everything you did and triple check everything. just 1 of those weird things that happen. check all of your boots as well. hope ya figure it all out.:argh:

mnwild_05 06-21-2012 02:59 PM

alright checked the boots and intercooler no leaks, pulled the boot on the intake horn and stuck my hand over it and the turbo blows my hand off. so i unhooked the gauge for now and put the plug back in. the engine idles perfect and misses on the top end. drive it down the road and it puts out black smoke put no power.

1stgenSappy 06-22-2012 05:21 PM

This sounds like when I broke the shaft off of my h1c. Not saying that's your problem but I had no boost no power white smoke like crazy and terrible high egt's I would say its turbo problems it spins enough to blow air out but under a full load something is wrong and the turbo is not functioning correctly. Maybe assembled incorrectly?