Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/)
-   -   Get Rag still grinds!!! ahhhh!! help! (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/93519-get-rag-still-grinds-ahhhh-help.html)

dszoo 03-25-2012 10:45 PM

Get Rag still grinds!!! ahhhh!! help!

So I just finnished rebuilding my Getrag, all new brass syncros, new 3rd gear, new 3&4 syncor ring, new imput shaft, new south bend clutch, new roller bering pilot bering, all new bearing in the tranny ect...... took the girl for a test drive, and she still grinds, some times in to 3rd when down shifting. Is it me? am I down shifting too fast?.... do the new and old marts just need a chance to mesh together?... I dont want to take the rag out again if I dont have to..... she is a heavy pig! lol any help any one can offer would be great!!!

l

dszoo 03-29-2012 07:35 PM

BUMP

any one have any words?

6btf350cummins 03-30-2012 12:23 PM

I have no advice, I am sorry I have no issues with mine, although I had it rebuilt at 225K even though she didn't need it. That was when the motor was out of the dodge and going into my ford.

I had a smililar issue with a chevy 5 speed in an HHR. Even after a full rebuild is ground for 2 months (about 4K miles more) I then just had to replace the trans.

And not only are the gutrags heavy and a pain to get out, they are EXPENSIVE compared to other trans I have seen.

timdale 04-01-2012 06:24 AM

How about the clutch hydraulics? Mine was like a new tranny when I got a new slave and master. Also check the clutch pedel shaft and bushing, see if there's alot of play.

welderboy250 04-01-2012 07:23 AM

Just curious what oil you are using in it...

crewcab59 04-01-2012 09:43 PM

I just did the same thing.....my trouble was in bleeding the clutch. Have some one push the peddle to the floor .......crawl under there and see if the clutch lever is all the way over into the notches in the bell housing that is cut out for the lever. You will see it under the boot on the edge of the hole .I'M with with you on that one.....make dang sure its the tranny before you drop it......uuugghhh good luck

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk

farmerdude 04-02-2012 10:30 PM

I have driven several that acted like that. I just thought that was the way they were. Just slow your downshift to 3rd a little to let the synchro's do their thing. just my 2 cents.

dszoo 04-02-2012 11:48 PM

welderboy250- I am running moble 1 5-30 full synthetic

crewcab59- thanks, I didnt blead the hydros after the install. i will have a look at that.

timdale- I will check out the pedel, and hydors, thanks for the advice.

Cant check out the girl till the weekend, so ill let you guys know how it goes. Thankd for all the ideas!!!

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

oh , and i did over fill.