1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

How to lope???

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 11:58 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Cummins12Club
well anyone who knows anything about diesels knows that lope is not desired and hard on stuff, ppl just need to do some research before talking about stuff like lope, you guys wouldnt last long on competition diesel
Please explain about it is not desired because if you read the FIRST post he is helping someone who WANTS it to lope. And what do you care it's not your money there wasting when stuff breaks. And no one said anything about competition diesel. How about if you ain't got anything nice to say then shut up.

I have been following the rusty project and have heard several other diesels with Lopes all from changing to bigger lines. So if he wants the lope go bigger lines. If he don't like it then change them back.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:37 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Red_Rattler
So hows the build goin? Just tell him to tap his foot on the go pedal when he wants it to lope

On a more serious note, I've seen people do this....
I'm pretty proud... I got the truck with a block, head, and 5 gallon bucket of parts and the guy tore it apart in his yard and is pretty much an idiot... but... cranked it for the 1st time for about 4 seconds and it fired up and purred like a kitten.. only problem i didn't catch was a bad o-ring on the sensor on fuel filter... the body work is done... still gotta do some pump tweaking and test drives... wish i would have taken pics but I'll try and get some finished products pics... painted the i/c tubes, intake horn, and valve covers to match the truck and that looks sweet!!!! totally recommend it... KDP tabbed... new front and rear mains on seal/gasket that wasn't replaced was the oil pan..

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by swampdonky311
there is so much you can do to those trucks with out gettin in the engin cams are not worth any thing and if your gonna build the engin build every thing else an engin aint worth jack didaly if you cant get it to the gound so go with a built tranny atleast befor you put a "cam" in it
How could keeping your exhaust and intake valves open a little longer not be worth anything???? I believe that affects 2 of the 3 main components of a diesel... air and exhaust... i know they r basically the same but you know... anyways i totally agree with you on getting it to the ground too...

Originally Posted by sthrnrider
Please explain about it is not desired because if you read the FIRST post he is helping someone who WANTS it to lope. And what do you care it's not your money there wasting when stuff breaks. And no one said anything about competition diesel. How about if you ain't got anything nice to say then shut up.

I have been following the rusty project and have heard several other diesels with Lopes all from changing to bigger lines. So if he wants the lope go bigger lines. If he don't like it then change them back.
i had just never looked into it cause I've never had the desire to have mine lope but thats what he thought he wanted so i said i know just the place to ask....maybe if someday my truck gets far enough along that i think i need bigger fuel lines i might go with ones to make it lope a little....I just think it would be really hard to drive and really gay on an auto truck...

Originally Posted by Cummins12Club
well anyone who knows anything about diesels knows that lope is not desired and hard on stuff, ppl just need to do some research before talking about stuff like lope, you guys wouldnt last long on competition diesel
i'll agree with u on the 1st part for ''MOST'' people.. on a second note... who gives 2 ***** about comp d.. hence why i posted on here.... not there!!!!1

Last edited by 1st_gen_puller; 02-19-2012 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-22-2012, 08:31 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ok so mabey i should keep comp diesel out of it , but i stand my ground on the lope subject, i aint got a dime in it and i dont care, i just get a laugh out of this whole thing

Old 02-23-2012, 10:24 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

you can make a Diesel engine lope, it just isnt by wanting it too.

the reasoen why you hear a lope in a gas motor when it is at IDLE, the engine is starved for fuel.

A diesel engine should not ever lope, why, well if you starve your engine for fuel, it will cut off or by chance that it keeps running, you are not suppling enough fuel which inturns cause more wear on parts because diesel fuel is also used as a lube for your engine.

if you want your vehicle to lope, go by a gas motor , or by a power stroke, that is as close as you will get for a diesel engine to sound like it lopes, they are the only diesel that sounds like it has an unsteady idle.

just wanted to add, people who could not afford to upgrade the GAS MOTOR, they would turn there idle screw, this would cause fuel milage to go down. and people who knew anything about cars would know that there car is a fake, and would laugh.

Last edited by cummins_guy; 02-23-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:31 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

this may be stupid but if you guys say that bigger lines causes the pop pressure to build slower, then wouldnt having a higher pop pressure give you the same result? get the injector cleaned and pop tested get them reset at a few bar ?10? above the factory spec. see what happens worse case is it doesnt lope but produces better atomization? and whats with all the negativity? innovation is key in the diesel word besides when people told rudolf diesel that you cant build an engine that is more powerful than a spark ignition and he listened then well we wouldnt have this site food for thought

i do know that if you put a copper washer in the number one delivery valve and not in any other cylinder it will cause one to lope until you just barely cracked the line so if you could find a washer or something to take up space in the line on 1 3 and 2 then it would lope kinda or maybe only three of the larger lines to give it a sorta lope

Last edited by dixierebel0213; 02-24-2012 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-24-2012, 06:25 PM
Diesel Wrench

This is a good start but wouldn't that thow off your timing?? and then if you could even get it set right it wouldn't lope???? I don't really know.... just saying..

Old 02-25-2012, 03:56 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I think its gonna be one of those things you gonna have to try a few things and see what happens and how the truck reacts

Old 02-25-2012, 04:36 PM
Diesel Wrench

I think i'll just make it run good and tell him you can't make it lope..

Old 02-25-2012, 06:14 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Thats a good idea.

Dar

Old 02-25-2012, 06:14 PM
High Tech Redneck

Received 496 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by cummins_guy
you can make a Diesel engine lope, it just isnt by wanting it too.

the reasoen why you hear a lope in a gas motor when it is at IDLE, the engine is starved for fuel.

A diesel engine should not ever lope, why, well if you starve your engine for fuel, it will cut off or by chance that it keeps running, you are not suppling enough fuel which inturns cause more wear on parts because diesel fuel is also used as a lube for your engine.

if you want your vehicle to lope, go by a gas motor , or by a power stroke, that is as close as you will get for a diesel engine to sound like it lopes, they are the only diesel that sounds like it has an unsteady idle.

just wanted to add, people who could not afford to upgrade the GAS MOTOR, they would turn there idle screw, this would cause fuel milage to go down. and people who knew anything about cars would know that there car is a fake, and would laugh.

This is 100% false...

The following users liked this post:
1st_gen_puller (02-25-2012)

Quick Reply: How to lope???