1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

How to lope???

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 06:49 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

well PDP's site says they have them but who knows... Just thought we'd do something cool but guess everyone should do the same thing to their trucks and not do anything thats not ''useful'' huh???

Old 01-07-2012, 06:59 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 108 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 1st_gen_puller
Just thought we'd do something cool but guess everyone should do the same thing to their trucks and not do anything thats not ''useful'' huh???
Not to be slamming you friend, it's just that asking how to make a CTD lope is like asking how to make more smoke for the sake of blacking out the Sun.

Swapping an aggressive cam in a CTD, won't make it lope like swapping an aggressive cam in a BBC.

People have tried and found it blows.

The thing with going too big with diesel injector lines is the fact that the larger lines are not as ridged as smaller lines. The larger lines are easier to balloon with the injection pressures and that ballooning, albeit subtle, effects the injection event characteristic timing. Makes it run weird and miss ("lope") at idle. This is not to be mistaken for tell-tail signs of a monster engine.

The 14mm VE H/R (never mind a stock 12mm) will never move enough fuel to see any advantage of larger injection lines.

Last edited by BC847; 01-07-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:05 PM
Diesel Wrench

Ok..... so.... its an auto... with an h1c... intercooled...my list (for him) trans.. 1:good cheap hx 35 to hybrid or a hx 40.. 2:Injectors- who and where should i look?? Last time i searched around to buy some i had pretty much decided on some coaltrains 3: what in the eff are we gonna do about that trans???

Old 01-07-2012, 07:06 PM
High Tech Redneck

Received 496 Likes on 397 Posts

also the larger lines also effects the timing of the motor as well since it takes longer for the fuel to get to the injector and builds the pop pressure slower as well. You can do what you want I'm just telling you when you buy a 500 dollar cam and it still idles smooth as glass your gonna be pissed

Old 01-09-2012, 02:05 PM
Diesel Wrench

Well he just wanted it too lope... Its just a weekend toy... maybe get groceries sometimes... I'm just looking for answers... I just do what the customer asks... but i didn't honestly think he would like it if it could even be done... what do we do with that tranny.... build it???? swap manual?????

Old 01-09-2012, 02:34 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Build it or leave it, if he is only using it once in awhile and not beating the hell out of it then it should be fine. Not sure what mods he has done either.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:47 PM
Diesel Wrench

sorry about that.. we're gonna run the trans till it breaks... it will have all the free mods.. timing power screw full throttle adjusted homemade pin..... straightpipe and either POD's or some 5x12's... KDP tabbed.. fresh upper gaskets and head... some porting on the ex. manifold... and eventually a turbo... studs too...

Old 01-09-2012, 03:59 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If he really wants lope tell him to get a gasser 1st Gen with a 360cid. Then stick a lumpy cam in it! It would be way easier and probably cheaper!

Old 01-09-2012, 06:41 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I was gonna keep this a secret, but i guess i will tell ya.

i don't know how it will efect the IP but you could put a flasher in line with the FSS, put it on a toggle, when you are at idle turn on the lope switch, when you want to go turn it off.

Dar

Old 01-09-2012, 07:24 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 1STGENFARMBOY
I was gonna keep this a secret, but i guess i will tell ya.

i don't know how it will efect the IP but you could put a flasher in line with the FSS, put it on a toggle, when you are at idle turn on the lope switch, when you want to go turn it off.

Dar
Dont think this is going to work but if you want to make a mess trying it, more power to ya. If its not on the same timing as the pump it will just starve the pump of fuel randomly.

The following users liked this post:
1st_gen_puller (01-09-2012)

Quick Reply: How to lope???