1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

radiator trouble

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 10:24 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question radiator trouble

yesturday i blew the 90* rubber hose that is right besidee the altenator it was just a small hole. i went to napa got a hose cut it to the size and got it running for now. my first problem is the belt squeaks really bad now and it very annoying i tried wd40 on it and it would stop for a minute then start back up anyone know of any other ideas besides replacing the belt? second because my truck is a 91 and none of the hoses have been touched exept for the one last night should i start replacing all of them? i heard that once one goes its pretty much down hill from there. also if so does anyone make a hose kit for our trucks?

Old 10-24-2011, 10:31 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I had to take mine off and spray all the pullys with brake cleaner then I turned the belt inside out and sprayed the grooves and I havent had a problem since and thats been a few months ago hope this works for you.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:43 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

cool i will try that out tonight and see if it works thanks for the help

Old 10-25-2011, 11:01 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

alright i tried the brake cleaner used an entire big can that was full on belt and all the pullies put it back on and it still squeaks alot and really loud any one else have any ideas? if i cant fix it by the fifth ill just buy a new one but till then im up to try sugestions if anyone has them then ill keep everyone posted on what works and what doesnot

Old 10-25-2011, 06:31 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Belt dressing

Old 10-25-2011, 08:23 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry that didnt work maybe your idler pully is going bad.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:50 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

i fixed the problem... a co-worker at the restaraunt i work at used to own his own repair shop, he said they got this all the time after a blown radiator hose and he loved it because he charged insurance companies on average $200 for a five second fix and never charged people without coverage.here goes if you have got antifreeze on your belt and now the belt squeals like a b@!#$ take a can of spray paint(i used clear coat) and with the truck running spray the belt, it gets worse for about two seconds or a couple rotations and then the squeaking completely 100% stopped i was amazed. he informed me that if you ever have a squeaky belt or suspect its something other then the belt spray the belt first to eleminate the posibility of it just being oil on the belt. and then start looking into other things such as idler pully or tensioner pulley. so this is just future referance for people with squeaky belts use a can of paint most of us have one just laying around anyways, so y pay $90 for a new belt when you can stop it without spending any money?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

and no worries about the brake clean not working it was worth a shot to me cus i had a can handy and it took 20 minutes. and like always thanks for the help guys this site is amazing

Last edited by t-bone117yamaha; 10-26-2011 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost