Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/)
-   -   HEADLIGHT SWITCH? (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/78003-headlight-switch.html)

sweetv8s10 06-12-2011 12:16 AM

HEADLIGHT SWITCH?

I was wondering if anyone could tell me why my headlight switch gets so hot it still works but it get so hot you cant hardly touch it?:humm:

901stgen 06-12-2011 12:45 AM

High Resistance in the switch. When anything electrical has something that has a high resistance in it, it becomes hot. Although your switch is still working I don't believe it will be for long. So that being said, pull the switch out and check for any corrosion on contact points, if there is, either clean it or replace it. I would personally replace it. Hope this helped bud. :c:

KD93 06-12-2011 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by 901stgen (Post 762811)
High Resistance in the switch. When anything electrical has something that has a high resistance in it, it becomes hot. Although your switch is still working I don't believe it will be for long. So that being said, pull the switch out and check for any corrosion on contact points, if there is, either clean it or replace it. I would personally replace it. Hope this helped bud. :c:

To quickly expand on the highlighted sentence; Any resistance to anything at all will generate heat.

Otherwise, 901stgen is right. That switch will likely fail shortly. When you go to the parts store, they'll probably have the switch but it'll be listed for a 2nd gen. It's the same switch, but the ground is different so make your own. At least, that's been my experience. Your ground will be better than Mother Mopar's one anyway.

1arock 06-12-2011 08:51 PM

Installing Headlamp Relays - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums This is cheaper than a new headlight switch and is a more permanet fix. Besides when your switch does burn up, 1.you will be driving in the dark
2. you risk burning the truck and
every thing in it up
3. you will still have weak factory
wiring.
I hope this helps:rocking:Rocky

KD93 06-13-2011 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by 1arock (Post 763050)
Installing Headlamp Relays - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums This is cheaper than a new headlight switch and is a more permanet fix. Besides when your switch does burn up, 1.you will be driving in the dark
2. you risk burning the truck and
every thing in it up
3. you will still have weak factory
wiring.
I hope this helps:rocking:Rocky

I forgot about relaying that circuit. Super good idea. :tu::jump:

93/250 02-28-2012 11:10 PM

I would post this question on the other forum the build was featured on, but i am not a member there. When wired like the build, is low and high beams lit up together for both low beams and high beams? Was that the point of the diode? This is probably a stupid question, but so am I when it comes to wiring.