Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/)
-   -   need help! please! (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/77247-need-help-please.html)

jdbigblue12v 05-28-2011 07:21 PM

need help! please!

i may have pinpointed myelectrical draw. the previous owner had the hood light wire unplugged form the light and i opened the hood and tryed it. the light is good and i thought to close the hood and see if the light stays on. the light stayed on when the hood fully latched. that why it is unplugged! is it possible a bad sensor could keep power sent to it and is killing my batteris? please respong im desperite for an answer!!!

tower_ofpower 05-28-2011 08:34 PM

need help! please!

If it was already unplugged and the
Draw was present then it isn't the hood light; if you plugged it back in and the draw developed than it's a possibility. Have you measured the amount of draw the truck has? (unhook the positive terminal and put an amp meter in series) pull fuses until your amp reading drops and you have then isolated which circuit is causing the draw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdbigblue12v 05-28-2011 11:39 PM

i havent yet found out the amount of draw yet but will tomorrow and it was already unplugged

cumminskid92 05-29-2011 01:34 AM

without the light it should have been an open circuit so it shouldnt draw and power... right?

tower_ofpower 05-29-2011 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by cumminskid92 (Post 758559)
without the light it should have been an open circuit so it shouldnt draw and power... right?

right; which is why i dont believe it was the hood light. do you have a brake controller? i know my truck sat pretty much all winter and the brake controller killed my battery. do you have anything aftermarket that is hooked to a constant hot? oh and the hood light switch is a mercury switch built into the light itself.

jdbigblue12v 05-29-2011 10:02 AM

ok im gonna go out in a few and try the test with the meter and pull fuses but no nothing after market except the p.o installed cab lights and theyre on a sepereate switch i was think false wiring on those to but gotta pull fuses.

crazy clem 05-29-2011 11:52 PM

this may be kinda stupid but my brake lights were staying on and and iwasnt noticing, also on afriends truck i found a dirty battery case that was conductive and draining the battery

jdbigblue12v 05-30-2011 02:01 AM

what do you mean dirty battery case? is it the mounting spot the plate on bottom? and i found that my cigarette lighter draws 8 volts so would i be able to just kkeep the fuse out all together??

crazy clem 05-30-2011 07:25 PM

it had a greasy type of film on it. I found it by using volt meter one lead to plastic case of battery one to ground , his read 9.5 volts to ground. was enough to kill battery .

KD93 05-31-2011 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by jdbigblue12v (Post 758840)
what do you mean dirty battery case? is it the mounting spot the plate on bottom? and i found that my cigarette lighter draws 8 volts so would i be able to just kkeep the fuse out all together??

Yes. :tu:

Originally Posted by crazy clem (Post 759029)
it had a greasy type of film on it. I found it by using volt meter one lead to plastic case of battery one to ground , his read 9.5 volts to ground. was enough to kill battery .

That's a ridiculously HUGE draw. :scare2: