Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/)
-   -   Lift Pumps (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/7406-lift-pumps.html)

DieselfreakMI 12-11-2007 02:43 PM

Lift Pumps

Are the lift pumps for the 1st gen. and 2nd gen 12v interchangeable?

I am considering running my truck on Veg Oil, and from what I read suggests to install a more robust lift pump and the 2nd gens pistion type is stronger than a 1st gens diaphragm type. I figure if I can swap it out it would more cost effective. Otherwise its saving for Fass pump or something.

LOGANSTANFORTH 12-12-2007 08:07 AM

yes, alot of first gen. guys do the swap....

Begle1 12-12-2007 11:50 AM

They're not directly interchangeable. There are two kinds of piston lift pumps; 1st gen and 2nd gen. The 2nd gen one puts out a ton more pressure due to internal differences, and has a bigger piston in it. I hear that it is possible to rebuild the 2nd gen pump with a 1st gen rebuild kit in order to keep the big piston and cut things down to the lower pressure. Or you can run a pressure-regulated bypass on the 2nd gen pump to keep fuel pressure down.

Both pumps require a mounting spacer and a new fuel line to install. And you need to either find a low-profile compression nut for the top or hack away some block insulation with an exacto knife.

DieselfreakMI 12-12-2007 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Begle1 (Post 87422)
They're not directly interchangeable. There are two kinds of piston lift pumps; 1st gen and 2nd gen. The 2nd gen one puts out a ton more pressure due to internal differences, and has a bigger piston in it. I hear that it is possible to rebuild the 2nd gen pump with a 1st gen rebuild kit in order to keep the big piston and cut things down to the lower pressure. Or you can run a pressure-regulated bypass on the 2nd gen pump to keep fuel pressure down.

Both pumps require a mounting spacer and a new fuel line to install. And you need to either find a low-profile compression nut for the top or hack away some block insulation with an exacto knife.

what years of first gens. had a piston type lift pump on them?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by DieselfreakMI (Post 87500)
what years of first gens. had a piston type lift pump on them?

Yeah I definatly have a diaphragm type.

Begle1 12-12-2007 08:03 PM

All of the first gens had the diaphragms, so I guess that "1st gen piston pump" is kind of a misnomer. It's really a "VE pump piston pump" that I assume was used on the VE-equipped motors in different applications.

LOGANSTANFORTH 12-13-2007 12:01 AM

ok sorry about that, thanks Begle, i forgot they werent interchangeable....

welderboy250 12-13-2007 01:42 PM

how bout some sort of an electric lift pump before the mechanical lift pump? ive been using biodiesel and it thickens up a lot in the cold and ive been lookin into and electric flow through pump that i only have to run when i want to. any info on such a pump would be apriciated

DieselfreakMI 01-17-2008 12:45 PM

Does anyone know where I can pick up a pistion type lift pump for my 1st gen.?

Skeye 01-22-2008 08:37 AM

Actually, there's at least three different bolt-on piston pump replacements for the Cummins 5.9, with different pressure/flow rates. Original Part#s (superceded):

3936320 - 15psi (listed as CASE tractor and 4B parts)
3936323 - >18? (listed for 4B)
and various numbers for the 2nd gen pumps, higer pressures (?)

The the 3936320 is the only one that should be considered compatible with the VE on your engine, from a pressure standpoint.

DieselfreakMI 01-22-2008 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Skeye (Post 107920)
Actually, there's at least three different bolt-on piston pump replacements for the Cummins 5.9, with different pressure/flow rates. Original Part#s (superceded):

3936320 - 15psi (listed as CASE tractor and 4B parts)
3936323 - >18? (listed for 4B)
and various numbers for the 2nd gen pumps, higer pressures (?)

The the 3936320 is the only one that should be considered compatible with the VE on your engine, from a pressure standpoint.

alright thanks