Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/)
-   -   trans broke (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/70327-trans-broke.html)

crazy clem 02-13-2011 09:05 PM

trans broke

bashing my head against the wall again , broke the out put shaft in the od section . are the 518s weak trannys ? this is the second time I ve broken a main shaft in this trans its a stock pos converter and the motor only has the standard tweaks . im sick of listening to trans guys saying this shouldnt happen. anybody out there running abuilt auto ? and if so what mods have you done? thaxs in advance . ps love the cummins hate the dodge:argh::ouch::s:

IrishChamp 02-16-2011 08:01 PM

Sorry I can't help but here's a bump for you.

crazy clem 02-17-2011 10:17 PM

good news found a local guy thru mopar club 30 year chrysler trans tech . speced parts and converter .reasonable price , theres hope for the tank yet.:choochoo:

IrishChamp 02-17-2011 11:49 PM

Good news.

crazy clem 02-18-2011 07:43 PM

just aword of advice to all automatic trans owners my trans guy had aheck of atime finding hard parts for my trans, in his words " ihad to sell my first born to get some of these parts". so if you have an oppertunity to get a cheap good core, ( oxymoron ) do it! and this guy has connections at chrysler. idont know if it is different in USA but in canuck land parts seem to be few and far between.

BC847 02-18-2011 08:55 PM

I run an A518 and have beefed it up here and there. Better converter, all 6-pinion / steel carrier planetary gear-sets, increased clutch/steel counts through out, etc. Standard shafts (no billet$).
1.69 60', 5.09 330', 8.01 8th mile @ 83.44, 12.81 4th mile at 101.11 at 6400lbs.

You can find most any part you need here:

https://www.wittrans.com/Default.aspx? (odd, used parts)
Sun Coast Converters Diesel Transmissions, Fort Walton Beach FL (converter and custom parts)
Transmission Parts - Transtar Industries Inc. (new parts)
PATC 46RE 47RE 48RE Transmissions, Performance Transmission A518, 518 (custom parts)

If you're breaking shafts with mild/moderate power, I would suspect worn/damaged bushings with the input, and intermediate shafts. The overdrive section's output shaft is supported by two ball bearings.

:pca1:

slingshot 02-19-2011 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by BC847 (Post 711057)

If you're breaking shafts with mild/moderate power, I would suspect worn/damaged bushings with the input, and intermediate shafts. The overdrive section's output shaft is supported by two ball bearings.

:pca1:

I will second that^^^
Is this tranny shop well known, or have you heard good things about them before you took yours there?

crazy clem 02-19-2011 01:30 PM

the first time ashaft broke in the trans it was from stupidity ,trying to pull a backhoe out with to much traction. the trans then went to alocal shop with agood rep. turns out after a expensive rebuild, and three trips back for issues, they sucked.this time icalled three diesel tranny shops all were outrageous. and tried to recomend all kind of unobtainium style parts. this ex chrysler tech told me what BC847 told me .when we took the trans apart he pointed out obviously worn parts which the previous shop did not replace 30000 kms ago.this time it got all the parts it needed as well as extra clutches, shift kit, different ratio apply lever,some oil passage work etc. this guy does nothing but dodges and was recomended by mopar club , and came with good references,any ways i should be working on truck not hunt and pecking on key board:c:

slingshot 02-19-2011 06:31 PM

Was the latest broken shaft ever run before the last build?

crazy clem 02-19-2011 09:30 PM

yes it was not changed at previous rebuild. looking at old output shaft vs new output,the old shaft has a keyway for a woodruff key which cuts deep into the shaft, thats where the shaft twisted and broke. the new shaft has a square key which doesnt cut as deep into the shaft. this one is new so it should last. :tu: