Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/)
-   -   Heatercore replacement info (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/62393-heatercore-replacement-info.html)

Billy D 11-06-2010 02:53 PM

Heatercore replacement info

I'm gona do it:dang:! It's time:argh:, any tips or helpful info fer the heatercore replacement?? Everyone says its a b@tch, but I gota do it. Any info as always will be deeply appreciated:c:

Billy D

RSWORDS 11-06-2010 03:13 PM

Take your time and have plenty of beer on hand.... :D

Rusty89Cummins 11-07-2010 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Billy D (Post 648310)
I'm gona do it:dang:! It's time:argh:, any tips or helpful info fer the heatercore replacement?? Everyone says its a b@tch, but I gota do it. Any info as always will be deeply appreciated:c:

Billy D

what ever you do dont back the nut all the way off or it will fall down and it will be a pain to get too. take a look at your new one and see how far out you can turn the bolt. be patient with it. tap around the edges of it with a thin skrew driver or something til you get it moving. then just work with it. its easier than you think. clear what ever you need to around it to get as much working room as possible. good luck. :c:

white93 11-07-2010 12:54 PM

Here's a write up I found on how to do it,it even has a bunch of pictures.

How To Remove The HVAC Box - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Mark Nixon 11-07-2010 06:44 PM

If you are any good at R&Ring windshields (I am :hellox: ), removing the windshield, dropping the column and removing the dash is the easy way to do it.

Pull the windshield, drop the column, unbolt the dash at the windshield, the bolts at the cowls and the firewall bracket, roll the dash down and ease the passenger's side to the seat.
Pay attention and unplug wiring, as necessary.

If your windshield is already broken, by doing it this way, the bonus is you get it fixed, too.:tu:

My next one will be done this way and in the VERY near future.

Mark.

Billy D 11-07-2010 07:57 PM

We did it! It wasn't that bad, well it was kinda a bitch, we took our time, but really you can't rush pulling all that old brittle ass plastic. We broke nuthin:nope: everything works, and it only took us 6 hrs. I got a kick butt HC from Oriellys and it was almost twice as big as the factory HC. I never felt such hot heat from a 1st gen. Just like new:tu: Thanks Jake, you da man:rocking: Wish I woulda took some pics, what wasn't thinking!!!

Rusty89Cummins 11-07-2010 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Billy D (Post 648847)
We did it! It wasn't that bad, well it was kinda a bitch, we took our time, but really you can't rush pulling all that old brittle ass plastic. We broke nuthin:nope: everything works, and it only took us 6 hrs. I got a kick butt HC from Oriellys and it was almost twice as big as the factory HC. I never felt such hot heat from a 1st gen. Just like new:tu: Thanks Jake, you da man:rocking: Wish I woulda took some pics, what wasn't thinking!!!

oh crap. sorry. i thought you were talking about the block heater for some reason :argh::argh: hope everything went well.