Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/)
-   -   synthetic oil (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/55795-synthetic-oil.html)

hemislave 08-03-2010 09:08 AM

synthetic oil

Hi all, after talking with with a local Amsoil dealer Im thinking of switching to it. The high initial cost,pulling samples and having it anylized and all that Im not sure about. Do any of you use it? and do the gains offset the cost? I would like to get some opinions thanks.:humm:

bobcat67 08-03-2010 09:17 AM

I use it, I won't run anything else ever again, the high initial cost is worth it in my opinion, don't know if i've seen any gains other than the fact that I feel the added protection and quality of the oil is much higher than your standard motor oil

NadirPoint 08-03-2010 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by hemislave (Post 599056)
The high initial cost,pulling samples and having it anylized and all that Im not sure about.

I've been running Rotella T-Syn (the old CI4+ formula) in the 1st Gen since day one. I stocked up on it a few years ago and have enough to last three more years. As far as Amsoil is concerned, it's great oil, but like you said, very expensive. Not worth it compared to any other quality top shelf brand, IMHO. As far as samples and analysis is concerned, that should not be an open-ended proposition. I took three samples from the 1st Gen during the first couple years to establish the change interval and that's been it. May never do another as long as nothing changes. Probably check it again in around 2014 when I have to change brands.

bladeyamaha 08-03-2010 12:54 PM

Amsoil is great like they said, wouldn't use anything else. I recommend using oil filter bypass kit too.

TTipsword 08-03-2010 01:46 PM

my whole family uses amsoil in everything we own except for my truck. I would love to use it because it truley is worth the cost except for one thing, if you have any decent oil leaks then that amsoil will will make it seem worse just because it can flow better and the molecules are smaller than a non-synthetic oil. that is why i don't use it in my dodge but i really do want to.....make the switch and you will love it.

Edahall 08-03-2010 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by NadirPoint (Post 599072)
I've been running Rotella T-Syn (the old CI4+ formula) in the 1st Gen since day one. I stocked up on it a few years ago and have enough to last three more years. As far as Amsoil is concerned, it's great oil, but like you said, very expensive. Not worth it compared to any other quality top shelf brand, IMHO. As far as samples and analysis is concerned, that should not be an open-ended proposition. I took three samples from the 1st Gen during the first couple years to establish the change interval and that's been it. May never do another as long as nothing changes. Probably check it again in around 2014 when I have to change brands.

Just curious, what change intervals are you using? Also, the intervals might be able to be increased since fuel has changed to Ultra Low Sulfer.