Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/)
-   -   Okay guys just tell me what to do GETRAG 360 is trashed (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/55026-okay-guys-just-tell-me-what-do-getrag-360-trashed.html)

boomerjosh 07-22-2010 07:28 PM

Okay guys just tell me what to do GETRAG 360 is trashed

so my tranny pretty much needs to be rebuilt...got some major damage goin on in there....it's already out of the truck. what i need addvice for is...weather i should try and rebuild the one i have... or buy a rebuit one.....or what i don't know but im trying not to spend alot of money but it looks like thats not going to be easy.....i know that guys do the nv4500 swap but i don't think i want to do that......please any advice would be great! cuz im pretty much stumped. :argh:

12vcummins96 07-22-2010 07:31 PM

get a used one if you wanna go cheap or get it rebuilt

tltruckparts 07-22-2010 09:08 PM

i drive a 2001 dodge diesel 4x4 with an nv4500 at work and i love it compared to my getrag. its much more driveable IMO. i would personally swap it out

Budgreen 07-23-2010 08:02 AM

find a 10spd! :jump:

I would look at the cost and your time to rebuild it vs. buying a rebuilt one.

RSWORDS 07-23-2010 08:42 AM

There is a manual In the sticky for the rag. I don't think its all that hard to rebuild yourself if you have any skill at all. That would be cheapest.

boomerjosh 07-23-2010 09:40 AM

where could i get ahold of a rebuild kit? how much cost?

freak007 07-25-2010 09:29 AM

I got my bearing/syncro kit from Zumbrota Bearing and Gear. They have good prices and great service. Motive Gear also has alot of G360 parts, and their proces are cheaper, but they did not have everything I needed... Zumbrota had everything and worked with me on pricing...

When I rebuilt mine I wound up needing several "hard" parts (input shaft, and several gears), and my total rebuild was still well under $500

Get a manual, disassemble and inspect, then call Zumbrota ;)

RSWORDS 07-25-2010 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by freak007 (Post 594704)
I got my bearing/syncro kit from Zumbrota Bearing and Gear. They have good prices and great service. Motive Gear also has alot of G360 parts, and their proces are cheaper, but they did not have everything I needed... Zumbrota had everything and worked with me on pricing...

When I rebuilt mine I wound up needing several "hard" parts (input shaft, and several gears), and my total rebuild was still well under $500

Get a manual, disassemble and inspect, then call Zumbrota ;)

Sounds like great advice!

Mark Nixon 08-01-2010 10:02 AM

Another sound bit of advice:
EVERY Getrag is a CORE until you inspect it very closely and at least re-bearing it.
I've gotten so many that were "good" and found to be total garbage, that my top paying $$ for one is maxed at $300 as a CORE.
I've rejected many.

The bare minimum you should expect to put into a Getrag is at least a set of bearings and, 90% of the time, an input shaft.
NEW SYNCHRO RINGS are also mandatory, IMO.

Whatever you do, when shimming the rear housing, DO NOT preload them any tighter than the maximum specs, they don't like it and they WILL bite you in the butt if you do it.
Looser isn't necessarily a bad thing in this case.

Craig at Zumbrota is an inspiration to how a GOOD, KNOWLEDGEABLE salesman operates.
Zumbrota is a class A operation in my book!

Mark.

white93 08-01-2010 10:15 AM

There was a guy on ebay selling rebuilt getrags for $1000,but I haven't seen any feed back on how good it is.