Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/)
-   -   PULLING THE TRANNY! (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/46663-pulling-tranny.html)

redwood logger 03-18-2010 09:13 PM

PULLING THE TRANNY!

It has been about 15 years since i have pulled a autamatic tranny and this is my first time ever on a dodge. my question is do you un bolt the torque converter from the flywheel before you un bolt the tranny from the block or does the torq stay on the flywheel as the tranny is pulled away?

DieselPerformanceGuy 03-18-2010 09:16 PM

I'm pretty sure it stays either on the tranny or the flywheel either way i'm almost certain that there is no unbolting.

tltruckparts 03-18-2010 09:28 PM

you need to unbolt it before you pull the transmission. should be 6 bolts i believe theyre 15mm. if you try and pull the trans without taking it out first, you can mess up the input shaft of the transmission. and when you unbolt it, make sure you push it as far into the transmission as you can before pulling it. if you pull the starter, you can turn the engine by hand until you have access to the torque converter bolts through the starter hole

redwood logger 03-18-2010 09:38 PM

I guess my real question is how do i get the torq off the flex plate when i try to un bolt it the bolts come out until they hit the plate between the flex plate and the motor. my goal here is to replace my rear main seal

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

thanks tlttruckparts thats the info i needed:c:

tltruckparts 03-18-2010 09:58 PM

glad i could help

Begle1 03-18-2010 10:51 PM

There's an inspection cover on the right-side of the engine that you can pull the converter bolts off of... I've never took them out of the starter hole before.

tltruckparts 03-18-2010 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Begle1 (Post 519440)
There's an inspection cover on the right-side of the engine that you can pull the converter bolts off of... I've never took them out of the starter hole before.

that works too. lucky for me someone before me torched out a slot in the adapter plate so i could do it just like a chevy right through the bottom

RSWORDS 03-19-2010 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by tltruckparts (Post 519358)
you need to unbolt it before you pull the transmission. should be 6 bolts i believe theyre 15mm. if you try and pull the trans without taking it out first, you can mess up the input shaft of the transmission. and when you unbolt it, make sure you push it as far into the transmission as you can before pulling it. if you pull the starter, you can turn the engine by hand until you have access to the torque converter bolts through the starter hole

x2

I un did mine through teh instection plate on teh bottom though.

redwood logger 03-20-2010 09:44 AM

well the inspection hole on the passenger side seemed to be the only possible way to get the flex plate bolts out, worked great!