Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/)
-   -   Is that the posi unit making that noise? (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/46273-posi-unit-making-noise.html)

BLT 03-14-2010 12:50 AM

Is that the posi unit making that noise?

hi guys, new here, just bought a cherry low mile 93 2wd 2500 automatic one owner out of new mexico. so far so good.everything works but the cigerette lighter. I plan on using it for a daily driver and to pull a bumper hitch trailer with a 6000 ib tractor on it around on weekends. I dont realy want to work on it all the time and dont think ill have to. If theres any problems or failures to expect or general things I should keep an eye on? Im listening. Anyhow my question is theres a noise im hearin at takeoff, like when im pulling out of somewhere and turning out on the street theres a noise that sounds like progesive friction or something bound up kind of a dunt dunt duntduntdutdutdtdtdtdt sound. Then when im straightend out and gaining speed it goes away. Is this the posi unit making the noise or the trans bound up or the rear brakes sticking? it also makes the noise in reverse.the noise isint real loud but its there, I can feel it just the littleist bit. just wondering if anyone can tell me what it is? thanks

ArizonaRedneck 03-14-2010 03:09 AM

it sounds to me like your right but not 100% sure you could always drain the diff oil and pull the cover just to make sure and welcome to diesel bombers :yeah: hopefully somebody will be on here to answer your question but to me from what you say its the posi-trac

tltruckparts 03-14-2010 03:14 AM

did they put posi's in these from the factory? havent seen one yet

Richie O 03-14-2010 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by tltruckparts (Post 515979)
did they put posi's in these from the factory? havent seen one yet

Yup, I own 2 factory posi rears.

sweetv8s10 03-15-2010 12:28 AM

My 92 does the same thing but usually only with a load on and I was thinking the same thing because it only does it when im taking off and turning at the same time so im not for sure but I hope thats all it is and not something else.

92W250 03-17-2010 06:43 PM

Mine was doing that, pulled the cover and replaced the fluid, but mine was only doing it after running down the road for a while. I also replaced all the u joints in the rear driveshaft and the carrier bearing assembly for the d-shaft as well. Haven't noticed it doing it anymore.

redwood logger 03-17-2010 07:50 PM

my 93 has the factory posi and i had to change the diff fluid and added friction modifier to the fluid and the clunk goes away you can buy little tubes at the auto parts store.

cumminsblazer 03-17-2010 11:26 PM

check your u joints thats what it sounds like to me and i didnt think 2wd came with a posi 4wd i could see that as a must but im not sure about the 2wd but for sure get some u joints and only go spicer ujoints dont buy kragen's gmb junk u will be just repacing them again i have had many trucks do the same thing :tu:

Budgreen 03-18-2010 03:08 PM

my dually came with LS rear in it. doubt it's working anymore.

another thing to check is your rear u-bolts.. make sure the axle is tight because it could be walking a little bit.

BLT 03-22-2010 09:40 PM

yeah it seems to do it after a long highway run. im going to change the rear end greese what type of fluid and additive do i need to use ? thanks folks