Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/)
-   -   anyone know what this is? (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/43599-anyone-know-what.html)

tltruckparts 02-15-2010 11:25 PM

anyone know what this is?

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 49241

i believe it is some kind of coolant switch? cant find any info i believe it just clicks on and off at a certain coolant temp and i would like to know if anyone knows what it is?

i am not happy with this stupid probe for my electrical fan and if this switch would work better id like to go that route.

if anyone knows that it is id appreciate it. or better yet, what temperature it kicks the switch at

RSWORDS 02-16-2010 04:36 AM

Put your probe in the coolant and not in the fins of the radiator. Just undo the hose, bend the wire right above the probe into a U and hook it around the inlet to the radiator. Reinstall your hose and you will be reading actual coolant temps.

Diesel Nut 02-16-2010 07:29 AM

I have no idea what that is. On all 4 of the first gen motors we have in the shop, the coolant temp sensor in on the head under the intake manifold.

cummins_guy 02-16-2010 07:31 AM

supply's you heater core with warm water.

hiboy_76 02-16-2010 08:49 AM

it looks like thats where I put my probe in for my water temp gauge. there was a plug in mine

butcherman 02-16-2010 10:03 AM

Same here, there is just a plug in mine as well...hell, go for it. It might work.:humm:

tltruckparts 02-16-2010 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by RSWORDS (Post 496177)
Put your probe in the coolant and not in the fins of the radiator. Just undo the hose, bend the wire right above the probe into a U and hook it around the inlet to the radiator. Reinstall your hose and you will be reading actual coolant temps.

thats what i was thinking about maybe ill try it. as long as it doesnt leak it should be good

Originally Posted by Diesel Nut (Post 496212)
I have no idea what that is. On all 4 of the first gen motors we have in the shop, the coolant temp sensor in on the head under the intake manifold.

i have sensor there too. thats the thermo sensor for automatic transmission trucks. i think this is something someone added on a long time ago. i just looked at the other motor in my garage and it is just a plug

Originally Posted by cummins_guy (Post 496214)
supply's you heater core with warm water.

thats the hose above it. i was talking about the sensor next to the hose

cummins_guy 02-16-2010 12:43 PM

that plug is for industrial use, that is where the after-cooler water supply goes too. there are also plugs in between each exhaust flange, those also have water behind them.

that sometimes is also used for the supply to a wet turbo

tltruckparts 02-16-2010 12:53 PM

i sas trying to figure out what the sensor was for or more importantly what temps it shut on and off at. i know water goes behind there i was just curious if anyone else had one

Begle1 02-16-2010 01:30 PM

It's probably a temp sender. That's where I put my custom temp sensor.

Pull it out, stick a meter on it and boil it. See what happens.