Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/)
-   -   The dangers of buying used pumps (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/43184-dangers-buying-used-pumps.html)

butcherman 02-11-2010 05:14 PM

The dangers of buying used pumps

I recently bought a used ve pump with 250 or so miles on it for a good price. The second day I had the truck running, the pump died! There is a Bosch injection pump repair center here, so I took the pump to them. They told me the pump was leaking internally and not building enough pressure, and the ksb solenoid had also malfunctioned. So my good deal on a pump ended up costing me over 1200.00!!!:scare2: There is no way the previous owner could have known the pump was about to die, but lesson learned on this end!

The pump shop told me the pump looked like it had been rebuilt recently, they just didn't do a very thorough job. Makes me wonder about the quality of the rebuilt pumps you see advertised on the internet. Next time, I'm taking my pump to the local shop, and having it done right instead of looking for the good deal :argh: It's nice to have someone local to bitch at if it doesn't work after they get done with it.

ArizonaRedneck 02-11-2010 05:18 PM

thanks for the info hopefully it will save somebody some time and money in the future:yeah:

tltruckparts 02-11-2010 07:32 PM

ive sold several used pumps and every person ive sold them to has come back for more parts and told me that its still working great so you must have had just a bad one.

as for costing 1200 bucks, i think you probably shouldve done a lil more research considering you can buy brand new ones for 900. and i got mine rebuilt for 850, and that was even one of the more expensive places

butcherman 02-11-2010 07:59 PM

I didn't spend 1200 on the rebuild, that was the total with the original purchase of 650, and the rebuild for 625.
I'm sure they aren't all that bad, just an unfortunate incident with this one.

tltruckparts 02-11-2010 08:31 PM

oh got ya thats a much better price. i was hoping they didnt get ya jsut 1200 for the rebuild. about 8 out of the 10 companies i called theyre rebuild price was 750 to begin with. ive seen used pumps freshly rebuilt sell in the means of the 500 dollar range

stillcummin 02-11-2010 08:35 PM

a brand new pump from bosch is like 2400 isnt it?Thats the last time i priced it from cummins.

tltruckparts 02-11-2010 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by stillcummin (Post 492757)
a brand new pump from bosch is like 2400 isnt it?Thats the last time i priced it from cummins.

maybe from cummins but not anywhere else. industrial injection sells their pumps for 750 plus a 500 core if you dont have an old one. i found places that rebuild em from about 4-800. and when i asked for prices from the sponsors my prices went anywhere from 7-900. so i think thats about the going rate for one.:tu:

blkjack 02-11-2010 09:16 PM

Yea sometimes Its ok to skimp on certain things but when it comes to things like this its just best to go with something that is quality and comes with a good known warranty not just a taillight warranty. lol good post hopefully it helps someone else in the future for making a big mistake as well thanks bud.

seandonato73 02-11-2010 10:46 PM

sorry to hear about your bad pump experience, good thing it all worked out in the end

butcherman 02-14-2010 10:42 AM

Well I got the pump back from the shop, the ksb solenoid was bad as well as the feed pump. But I got it back on the truck and the beast is on the road again! Hears to another 230K miles:c: