Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/)
-   -   Fixing the ride of my 1st gen (or at least making it better) (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/39148-fixing-ride-my-1st-gen-least-making-better.html)

puddlepirate 12-25-2009 03:51 PM

Fixing the ride of my 1st gen (or at least making it better)

I'm thinking of trying to end the pain and suffering :s: I have to endure every time I hit a pot hole, bump, pavement break, and any other less than paper flat road surface with my truck. The question is leaf spring kit or air bags. I've heard a lot about the skyjacker kits being pretty good, but they have a kit, and a system. From what I've found the kit is front springs and an add a leaf or block in the back. I'm only considering the 1" or the 2.5", so I'm assuming I'll get an add a leaf. The kits ($490) seam to run about half the price of the whole system ($940), but the question is would the system make a large enough impact on the overall ride quality, and towing manners to justify the extra cash/wife B!TCH!N??? Please let me know what ya'll think, and what those of ya'll who have aftermarket springs have experienced. If anyone has a air bag setup they swear by I'd be interested in that as well. I'm trying to stay below $800 on this deal, and get the truck to ride/tow a whole hell of alot better.

thanks,
Justin

ArizonaRedneck 12-25-2009 04:00 PM

I have the same problem with my 93 w 250 and very interested in the answers you recieve no matter how you drive feels like you hit every bump in the road:s:

DieselPerformanceGuy 12-25-2009 04:12 PM

I have the same problem to, so i got these skyjacker add a leafs, raised the front up about 1.5-2'' and smoothed the ride out alot. It raised it up so much more i had to buy rear shocks to put on the front.

Skyjacker Suspensions F1100 - Skyjacker Softride Add-A-Leafs - Overview - SummitRacing.com

tltruckparts 12-25-2009 06:08 PM

if you truly want a softer ride go with an air ride setup if you can afford it youll never be happier. you might gain a little in new leaf springs but leaf springs will never truly be a smooth ride. you could gain a little smoothness by putting longer springs up front and all that but then your talkin major mods. look into the air ride. there is a reason big rig driver use it:tu:

DieselPerformanceGuy 12-25-2009 06:45 PM

x2 thats the truth:tu:

seandonato73 12-25-2009 11:38 PM

it seems that these trucks have a problem with the springs hitting the bump stops, so my fix was to make longer shackels, and move the front of the leaf pack down one inch with a spacer, worked great. total lift was about three inches. but if i had the money i would go with the air ride. put it simply you can't get a better ride then air!!!

jasonfriedlin 12-26-2009 12:03 AM

You know you've got more than $800 to spend Stanley. Stop bein such a tight ass all the time and by some bags :tu:

1st genny nut 12-26-2009 10:37 AM

i have the 4" lift for mine and i love it

seandonato73 12-27-2009 08:11 PM

what did that cost ya

stillcummin 12-27-2009 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by 1st genny nut (Post 458694)
i have the 4" lift for mine and i love it

have you driven any other cummins truck besides your 1st genny?