Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/)
-   -   starter (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/36195-starter.html)

tower_ofpower 11-13-2009 06:28 PM

starter

i'm in the market for a starter... looking for someplace with the most reliable and best priced starters. also do the years of these starters cross at all? like is the 89 the same as say a 94?

mishkaya 11-13-2009 06:41 PM

Is yours beyond being repaired? I would suggest a rebuild kit from fostertruck otherwise. Cheap and does the job well.
LarryB's Dodge starting problems solved here.
Good luck.

tower_ofpower 11-13-2009 06:53 PM

well i'm sure the contacts arent healthy but this goes beyond the contacts. i believe the armature is grounding out against the magnets from time to time... sometimes it works fine; other times it'll grunt and even stall. it doesnt show any symptoms of it being the contacts... like rapid clicking or sticking. i know the history of the truck... it just needs to be replaced as the fuel shut off wire was loose and they'd crank on the truck until they gave up... sometimes two to 3 tries for up to a minute

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

according to the denso site the OEM part numbers match from 1989 to 2001 but cross referencing numbers are different

screw it... ordering a 2nd gen starter from summit. tired of my truck being on near death

mishkaya 11-13-2009 06:54 PM

It would seem that 89 to 93 are the same and after that they are different. Sorry I don't know where to get one cheap. I know where to get a REAL GOOD one though.
Mean Green Starters and Altenators - Mean Green is the manufacturer of Gear Reduction Starters, Altenators, Stainless Steel Receiver Hitches and Jeep TJ Dual Battery Trays.
Hope someone else will chime in to point you in the right direction. And BTW, foster truck does sell NEW Denso starters.

12vcummins96 11-13-2009 06:55 PM

there you go got the same starter from summit love it

RSWORDS 11-14-2009 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by tower_ofpower (Post 431129)
well i'm sure the contacts arent healthy but this goes beyond the contacts. i believe the armature is grounding out against the magnets from time to time... sometimes it works fine; other times it'll grunt and even stall. it doesnt show any symptoms of it being the contacts... like rapid clicking or sticking. i know the history of the truck... it just needs to be replaced as the fuel shut off wire was loose and they'd crank on the truck until they gave up... sometimes two to 3 tries for up to a minute

according to the denso site the OEM part numbers match from 1989 to 2001 but cross referencing numbers are different

screw it... ordering a 2nd gen starter from summit. tired of my truck being on near death

As far As I Know they are not the same.

Best price/warenty I found was at Autozone

Also try RockAuto.com

tower_ofpower 11-14-2009 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by RSWORDS (Post 431642)
As far As I Know they are not the same.

Best price/warenty I found was at Autozone

Also try RockAuto.com

ahhhh crap... lol if you're right bobby i'm going to kick my self in the balls. like i stated before i got on the nippen denso site and the OEM part number matches from 89 to 01; although the cross refernce and aftermarket numbers do not match. i'm praying they're the same. the 94-01 starters are slightly less powerful than the 89's but that's b/c of the gear reduction. only thingi can see being different would be wire hook ups but i'm pretty resourceful :D i'll let ya know if it does work and let ya in on how satisfied i am with it... should be a pretty nice upgrade as they dont offer much of anything better than OEM generic name stuff for the first gens

tower_ofpower 11-19-2009 10:05 PM

note to self... kick myself in the balls :argh::argh::argh:
so just b/c OEM numbers match deffinately doesnt mean they're the same apparently. the new one will bolt up by 2 bolts. 3rd one doesnt line up. and the off-set is about 1/8th of an inch off. the drive gear JUST tickles the ring gear. i'm about to get out the die grinder and shave off an 1/8 inch and make the :edit: work