Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/)
-   -   finally p pump conversion (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/33762-finally-p-pump-conversion.html)

cumminskid92 10-06-2009 10:35 PM

finally p pump conversion

ok so i have everything to do the conversion...i think:rocking:. pump, lines, injectors, and front cover. how hard is the conversion to do. i am in school for diesel mechanics and my teacher will help me. let me know if i still need to get anything and about how long it should take to finish.

1stgenjunkie 10-07-2009 06:02 AM

Dont forget about your piston lift pump, and probably wouldnt be a bad idea upgrading ur fule lines to a bigger size if your planing on boosting power very much. Have fun!:U:

92 D/UNIT 10-07-2009 07:24 AM

I wish I had did the conversion when I had the oppuitunity. I think the difficult part would be the removing the camshaft and timing the pump.

Red_Rattler 10-07-2009 09:57 AM

Yep lift pump for sure. Get an AirDog 150 and be done with it. Bobby should chime in on this but I also think the injectors have to be set to a different opening pressure?

greasemonkey 10-07-2009 10:38 AM

You don't have to change the cam/gear, right? Timing the pump should be pretty easy, the cam, pump and crankshaft gears are very clearly marked.

Do the P-pumps have a feature similar to the rotary pump where you can lock it into position where all the timing marks will line up?

tower_ofpower 10-07-2009 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Red_Rattler (Post 406494)
Yep lift pump for sure. Get an AirDog 150 and be done with it. Bobby should chime in on this but I also think the injectors have to be set to a different opening pressure?

the injectors would only have to be re-set if he were still using the VE injectors. but i'm assuming since he said he's got the injectors the P-pump injectors should drop right in. i also agree on the air dog... that way no other modificication lift pump wise or even cam wise would be required, while your timing the pump have a little fun and bump it up to 16* stock fuel lines i would figure will do just fine as long as the fuel isnt cranked on it, now when you get into turning the pump then yes; i'd upgrade your lines. then again the airdog i believe comes with enough fuel line to run to the pump. just make sureyou order it for a 2nd gen 12v for the correct operating pressures

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

also; as red rattler stated before you take this into consideration wait for bobby; but i'm pretty sure that you have to use the p pump gear and the timing case

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

alright:ph: i'm an idiot you said the front cover... so p pump gear and i think your set

RSWORDS 10-07-2009 04:10 PM

yes the p-pump injectors are set at ahigher pop pressure then the VE ones but teh p-pump injectors also have a different size thread on the top of them for the lines. You have to use the 2nd gen injectors.

peobryant 10-08-2009 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by RSWORDS (Post 406841)
yes the p-pump injectors are set at ahigher pop pressure then the VE ones but teh p-pump injectors also have a different size thread on the top of them for the lines. You have to use the 2nd gen injectors.

Preferably 2nd Gen injectors with 1st Gen tips, as the VE pistons have a different bowl than the 2nd Gens.