1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Turbo, Injectors, or both

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 03:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo, Injectors, or both

I typically lurk in the shadows using the search button tohelp me make my diesel decisions but I have finally broke down and joined thisforum for a little help. Im currently finishing up the plumbing on myintercooler on my Cummins project and have been shopping for some more HP. Ifeel like ive read every post from every forum and have even made a few callsto some reputable diesel shops with conflicting turbo information.

I have new stock non I/C injectors and the Baby H1C and imlooking to upgrade after my I/C is hooked up to find my pyro baseline. cruisingtemps at 65mph my pyro is around 800* and pulling hills empty I have to downshift to 4th because of temps (1300* with ease). hence the reason for the newintercooler upgrade. I know for certain I wanna ditch the H1c but to what...looking to get around 350hp. I have the $ to buy a new turbo but cant make upmy mind on which one to get. I called a shop in Oregon that deals with HTT andsaid that I should keep the stock turbo and upgrade the injectors, another saidthe S300g? but my understanding is you can make my desired HP with the stocknon I/C injectors? so im just looking for some insite from all of you out thereon internet land on your opinion and what your setup is. I was pretty set ongetting a new S300 but after talking to a few people maybe that isn't the bestoption...

Old 03-10-2016, 12:07 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I would be looking at a cheap used WH1C/HX35 or HE351CW. They move more air than the baby H1C, and spool rear quick (nice for a 5spd).

Old 03-10-2016, 12:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't say I went the cheapest route. After some more discussion with Eric at the hungry diesel I ended up ordering the 62sxe! Just waiting on a few parts till I can bolt it up.