Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/)
-   -   just bought my first diesel. need help. (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/125822-just-bought-my-first-diesel-need-help.html)

Bernardo153 02-21-2015 02:35 PM

just bought my first diesel. need help.

Hi guys. I just bought my first diesel truck and am sadly lacking In knowledge. It needs work but i think the trucks worth the money. What I got is a 91 dodge ram 250. Its got the cummins 6bt in it and as far as I know it is all stock. Quarter of a million on the od. First off I've got to put in a floor pan and a rear light but after that I'm not sure where to start. My girlfriend and I bought the truck to haul a 5th wheel camper to nevada where we intend to move in the next year. So if anyone one has input on where to start and how I should set this truck up I would greatly appreciate it. Pics coming soon. Kinda snowed in atm.

Legato 02-22-2015 04:52 PM

First off, welcome to the site :moon: .. If she runs good so far and shifts good still, i'd look into a fuel pin and gov spring, adjusting your fuel screw on the pump. I'm pretty new still to diesel and have a w250, first thing i did was was get rear end rebuilt, new transmission and torque converter, and replaced my idler pulley along with others and my fan bearing and serpentine belt along with resealing the front cover and replacing front drive shaft and getting everything packed and greased.. All depends if your truck is ready for mods or ready to be restored in my opinion.. but I can say nothing has needed fixed or replaced on my engine. just the stuff that goes around it lol.. Tough things they are.

Bernardo153 02-22-2015 05:10 PM

Thanks for welcome legato. I know aft er the body work I have to do I'm just trying to make sure the truck would make the 3000 miles to nevada. But If I can improve the truck further than that I'd like to. My great uncle used to work on cummins and was a professional trucker for many years and he's the one that told me to go with the cummins over a gas truck. How difficult are the changes byour suggesting? And what would I need or tools? Like I said before my knowledge is frankly sad. I've done oil changes and brake s, plenty of sound systems but this is the first time I intend to really get into an engine, gas or diesel

diesel pap 02-22-2015 05:40 PM

in the stock form they are still a good truck. make sure the tranny and cooling system is right. :tu:

Bernardo153 02-22-2015 05:55 PM

Thanks deisel pap. The guys I'm buying it from claim they replaced the thermostat and maybe a few other little things like tubes. I've also been thinking anout upgrading the turbo ( or rebuilding the stock one, its a bit rusty ) should I do the fuel pins and gov spring like legato suggests first ?

kryz9903 02-24-2015 10:13 PM

Honestly, before you go into any mods or upgrades I would have the trans looked at and beefed up before you're left stranded on the side of the road. After that it's all up hill.