Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/)
-   -   Propane? (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/121891-propane.html)

Zaddison 06-29-2014 09:49 PM

Propane?

Hey folks I'm new here and have a question on my truck. Its a 92 cummins I'm running a Scheid lightning 12mm pump cut delivery valves max fuel and 4k spring. Injectors are 5/18 turbos are hx35 and ht3b pushin 70 lbs of boost with 60lbs valve springs, head studs and fire rings. I run this truck in local mud drags and do just fine I've only lost to one truck in four years. But it needs more fuel so was thinkin of propane. They say it gets hot but its a short track and my truck runs pretty cool so I'm not to worried about it. Just wondering what u guys thought any pros/cons or tips on how todo it. Thanks in advance,Zeb.

u2slow 06-30-2014 02:00 PM

You could plumb in vapour from a 20# bbq tank pretty easy. I would do that first and check the result. A little may do a lot. Not only does the propane burn, but it acts as a catalyst for a more complete burn of the diesel.

Zaddison 06-30-2014 02:13 PM

Should I run a regulator and how much. Thanks

u2slow 06-30-2014 02:22 PM

You are limited with vapour draw. It will ice up if you are drawing a lot. bbq or acetylene reg should work.

Zaddison 06-30-2014 05:09 PM

Well thanks for the info I guess ill give it a go and see what happens

dezeldoc 07-02-2014 08:49 PM

Stay as far as possible from propane.

Zaddison 07-03-2014 12:51 PM

Just wondering why I should stay away everything I read says is just fine. I appreciate ur info and if u could tell me whats wrong with it I would take it in to consideration cause i don't want to harm my truck anymore then I have to or waste my time/money. Thanks again.

niver 07-03-2014 03:55 PM

Been running propane on both my work trucks for about 3 yrs with no problems 100,000 on one and 200,000 on the other.
I got the kit off of ebay from a guy in WI.
One was selling a kit and didn't know much about performance the other worked for a propane co. and was knolgable and said call with any questions.
I transport campers all over the US and see a fuel milage improvement and no down shifting on the hills.

u2slow 07-03-2014 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Zaddison (Post 1066567)
Just wondering why I should stay away everything I read says is just fine. I appreciate ur info and if u could tell me whats wrong with it I would take it in to consideration cause i don't want to harm my truck anymore then I have to or waste my time/money. Thanks again.

Propane has gained a reputation for increasing cylinder temps dramatically, and burning holes in pistons.

The Ford guys (especially the IDIs) seem to be more on the propane bandwagon.

A home made setup I had bookmarked from years ago.
Ziggster's page

dezeldoc 07-05-2014 05:27 PM

It is fuel and makes extra heat, and with the mods you have i don't think you would like the results even though you say your temps aren't that high. Where is your egt probe pre or post turbo? that makes a big difference.