Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/)
-   -   12 valve cummins swap into suburban (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/118588-12-valve-cummins-swap-into-suburban.html)

waystro 01-26-2014 10:10 PM

12 valve cummins swap into suburban

Ok I have some questions about doing a 12 valve swap into my 1997 suburban.

Can I use my suburban wire harness/computer/ do I need my computer.
Can I use my master cylinder/brake booster/powersterring pump.
What will I need to do this swap. Any thing I'm leaving out any help is great Thanks
Oh and if I go with a manual trans do I need to get a new steering coluame(it's a automatic)

mdub4life29 01-26-2014 10:28 PM

4btswaps.com is the place to go!! tons of Info on there

Edahall 01-29-2014 05:40 PM

>>Can I use my suburban wire harness/computer/ do I need my computer.
You'll need to retain some of it so you can have a functioning dashboard.

>>Can I use my master cylinder/brake booster/powersterring pump.

The Cummins has a vacuum pump that's adequate to supply the brake booster. However, a hydrooost system would a nicer way to go.

Use the Dodge power steering pump.

>>What will I need to do this swap. Any thing I'm leaving out any help is great Thanks

Are you going to be putting on a lift kit? Keeping it stock height is possible but there might be interference problems with the front differential (if your Suburban is 4x4). Yes there are ways around this issue.

>>Oh and if I go with a manual trans do I need to get a new steering coluame(it's a automatic)

You won't need another column if you're going with a manual transmission. Just remove the shifter handle off your current column.

What gears do you have in your Suburban?

waystro 01-31-2014 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Edahall (Post 1046343)
>>Can I use my suburban wire harness/computer/ do I need my computer.
You'll need to retain some of it so you can have a functioning dashboard.

>>Can I use my master cylinder/brake booster/powersterring pump.

The Cummins has a vacuum pump that's adequate to supply the brake booster. However, a hydrooost system would a nicer way to go.

Use the Dodge power steering pump.

>>What will I need to do this swap. Any thing I'm leaving out any help is great Thanks

Are you going to be putting on a lift kit? Keeping it stock height is possible but there might be interference problems with the front differential (if your Suburban is 4x4). Yes there are ways around this issue.

>>Oh and if I go with a manual trans do I need to get a new steering coluame(it's a automatic)

You won't need another column if you're going with a manual transmission. Just remove the shifter handle off your current column.

What gears do you have in your Suburban?

Gears are 410 I think. I'm going to use my 480LE transmission. How to wire this all in is the biggest thing. It's a 2wd. It has a hydro boost on it

u2slow 02-02-2014 03:35 AM

Your 4L80E will need a controller. I am unsure if the standalone controller from 91-95 diesel vans will work with a later 4L80E.

IMO, get a Dodge/cummins donor truck and swap the entire powertrain. Should be able to rustle something up for $1-2k if you look hard.

4.10 is a deep ratio to run with the cummins due to the lower rpm range (i.e. 3000max) Not ideal unless you are towing large, or wish to run huge tires. Another reason to find a parts truck. Most are 3.54.