1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Is this a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 03:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a good deal?

Hey guys, this is my first post and I would really appreciate some advice and guidance to whether or not this truck is worth the money.. Now I went to the guys house today and checked it out however I was in a hurry because I had an appointment in 30 minutes and wasn't free afterwards. I do plan on doing a follow up inspection and test drive. Due to limited time, I didn't check the following;
- turbo for shaft play
- test drive (once again was in a hurry and plan on doing another more thorough walk through/inspection)
- blow by

I basically only checked out the interior, exterior, checked for rust in the usual spots, started up the truck (sounded pretty good), etc.

Here's some info on the truck:

1991.5 Cummins regular cab
- owner said "no slope in steering at all, front end is tight, new brakes, tranny doesn't slip shifts great)
- grandpa owned
- automatic (i've heard good and bad but I don't have an opinion)
- 2 owners
- 2wd
- 168k original miles
- all stock (pump hasn't even been touched)
- no rust anywhere that I saw
- original paint (not peeling in great shape)
- interior is in pretty good shape (headliner sags a little, pass. window is having electrical issues, didn't drive the car so not sure on gauges working properly)

He's asking $4,000

If you guys would like any more details or information just let me know I tried to describe it pretty well. Thanks in advance.

Simmons

Attached Thumbnails Is this a good deal?-00t0t_cyurvnfqlcv_600x450.jpg   Is this a good deal?-00606_52ol2sd5up4_600x450.jpg   Is this a good deal?-00c0c_3nyvfgnvafw_600x450.jpg   Is this a good deal?-00v0v_9wik4j7gsxj_600x450.jpg   Is this a good deal?-00v0v_ycj0tyshqd_600x450.jpg  

Is this a good deal?-01212_iaxc9dqtkew_600x450.jpg  
Old 09-07-2013, 08:51 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes. If it is as good as shape as you say, it could be sold for more.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:23 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

TEST DRIVE FIRST!

Old 09-07-2013, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by CR9712v
TEST DRIVE FIRST!
I wouldn't buy it without test driving just wanted to see if maybe truck is worth it if the test drive was and further inspections were to check out.

Also are there any specific spots the IP could leak from? I'm just a little worried that if I was to buy this truck (which would be my first diesel truck) it's gonna need a bunch of new parts (hopefully not knowing my luck), so if anyone could help me and list the big major parts that have known to fail around this number of miles that'd also be very appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:17 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Be leery of low mileage. If the truck sat for log periods of time there could be hidden troubles. My 92 was that way. Thought I was getting a good deal on a low mileage 1st gen. Turned out it wasn't such a good deal after all. Water condenses inside engines, axles, transmission, etc. If it sits long enough it will rust. Short runs makes it worse. If it has been driven for at least a half an hour a month, it will probably be okay. A truck I am looking at now I will be taking oil samples.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:46 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by Simmons
I wouldn't buy it without test driving just wanted to see if maybe truck is worth it if the test drive was and further inspections were to check out.

Also are there any specific spots the IP could leak from? I'm just a little worried that if I was to buy this truck (which would be my first diesel truck) it's gonna need a bunch of new parts (hopefully not knowing my luck), so if anyone could help me and list the big major parts that have known to fail around this number of miles that'd also be very appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mine sprung a leak from the throttle shaft, but you can't check that without ripping into the pump. Fuel pin is also a common place, or rather the pin that rides on the fuel pin .. I know that doesn't make much sense, but if you pull the afc top off you will understand what I mean. Make sure you run SOME kind of additive through it once per fillup, whether it be 2 stroke, diesel additive, stop leak, whatever.. These low sulphur diesels are HELL on the old seals in these pumps, but the additives help out alot.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:10 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks pretty damn clean, if it drives fine i would have no problem forking over the 4k but i would try and get it a little lower ( the tight wad in me). Around here junk with double the mileage is gong for 6-8K. All motors will condensate but it is not a big deal unless the oil looks like a milk shake.

cougar, That single oil sample will not mean much without a trend on it, it could come back to look terrible but in actuality for the motor it is normal.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:54 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Depends on weather you are trying to prevent a problem or looking for one that already exists. A "low mileage" 91 1st gen I just inspected once again proved my point. I had a shop put it up on their lift and pull the differential covers and PTO covers so I could look inside. Also took oil samples. Didn't have to analyze them. This one is worse than my 92 was, not even good for parts. The guy inherited the truck and didn't know its condition, now he does.
Do a through inspection. If the owner won't let you do it, walk away.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:02 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Once you pulled the covers what was inside? Rust, water, mud?

Old 09-17-2013, 09:29 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dezeldoc
Once you pulled the covers what was inside? Rust, water, mud?
When they pulled the covers, a small amount of water came out with the oil. The oil had an orange tinge to it and you could see rust on the carrier. Turning the carrier showed the bearing were bad and the ring and pinion pitted. Same thing with the transmission and transfer case. Possible this truck may have been in a flood or had just been sitting too long.
Sad that people let things get this way.